Friday, February 3, 2023

Last of the January Celebrations

I really wanted to celebrate Chocolate Cake Day on January 27th but HWNSNBP couldn't find chocolate cake with white icing on his trip to the grocery store that day.  They only had chocolate with chocolate icing and I figured if I was going to splurge on cake it should only be on what I really liked and not settle.  

January 28 - Daisy Day, Ladybug Day, Lego Day
I wanted to paint a daisy with a ladybug on it on black paper and when I went searching for my black sketchbook some dried maple leaves fell out of the cabinet with the book so I decided to paint them on the leaf instead.  There is a ladybug there on the lower daisy.


We saved the Lego Day celebrating for the next day.

January 29 - Carnation Day, Puzzle Day, Corn Chip Day
I still have baby carnations from the bouquet of flowers that HWNSNBP picked up at Costco last week.  Why did he do that?  Well, before Christmas he bought flowers for the house and I split the bouquet and put some in a vase in the bathroom.  Well, turns out he liked the fresh flowers on the sink and decided we should have that more often and bought replacement flowers.  I put these in my dancing frog vase on the kitchen island so I can see them all day.


We actually combined Puzzle Day with Lego Day on a visit with our son and DIL and GS1.  We found out a couple of weeks ago that our Little Lego Master recently competed in a Lego Building Contest at a local hobby shop.  He did very well in the contest.  There were 3 builds to complete from one kit and you couldn't have any help.  The kit made three animals.  He came in 3rd. A 12-yr-old came in 2nd.  And another 6 yr-old came in first but his mother was helping him sort his bricks so it was a questionable win.  He knew it wasn't fair but seemed to accept it as a lesson that things aren't always fair.  He also completed a truck build that was recommended for ages 18+ in one weekend which he is so proud of.  So I knew that I had an expert to call upon to put together the Lego Valentine Lovebirds that I had sent away for.  Here he is with Papa watching him go at it.  


And here he is with it finished.  He was so happy to give it to me.  I told him that I got the set because I missed my little bird and he told me that he missed the "cheez-it eating bird" too.  I told hin that Papa stopped buying cheez-its and I missed that too, and he sweetly told me that he had some in snack packs and he could share them.  


He wanted to play one of his games with me - Battleship - but his mom and dad said it would take too long as it was almost lunch time, so we settled for Don't Break The Ice.  We played a couple of normal rounds and then he said that we should play without the penguin on the top.  When I asked why he told me, with a mischievious grin, that it was pretty sad that the penguin had to fall in all the time.  So we spent the next 10 minutes setting up those ice cubes and banging on them over and over and laughing the whole time.  No more sad penguin.


January 30 - National Croissant Day
There is a bakery not too far from here called Paris Baguette and I had seen their advertisement for their specialties for the month of January and was interested in their Coffee Croissant Donut which turned out to be perfect for celebrating Croissant Day.  


I don't drink coffee - maybe once in a blue moon - but I do like the flavor in ice cream and baked goods so I really enjoyed this.  The cream filling inside was very yummy.  I'm glad that we got there before the end of the month so I didn't miss out on it.


January 31 - National Hot Chocolate Day
I had one hot chocolate bomb left from one of my Christmas gifts and we happened to have milk in the house so it was the perfect day to enjoy it.  





Some people are celebrating the fact that we haven't had any measurable snow in a record number of days.  I'm still holding out hope that snow will be in the future because there are some natural benefits to it that help with the growing season ahead.  We'll see.

3 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying the 'days' - some are very obscure! I love the Lego Day and those love birds are so cute. I always wanted Lego when I was a kid but girls 'don't play with Lego'. Never could figure out why not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ladybug is a special touch! You made me hungry too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was expecting to a zebra in here! We don't have internet access on our PCs in work except for the program we use, but the BING search bar is at the bottom, and I often click on it to see the image better, and I've day last week was international zebra day. But the lovebirds are just fab, and well done to your Lego expert.
    The flower painted on the leaf is jus totally wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.