Monday, February 13, 2023

What's to Celebrate So Far in February

February 1

Do you say Rabbit Rabbit before you say anything else on the first day of the month? According to folk lore, it is said that it is good luck to practice this.  They say that some people say "white rabbit" or "bunny bunny" instead.  It is thought to bring good luck for the next 30 days if you practice this.  And, if you should forget to say it first, then you can say "tibbar tibbar" at the end of day.  

Well, I have heard of this practice before but I keep forgetting to say it.  I think that I will have to put a post-it note on the mirror in the bathroom on Feb. 28th to remember for the month of March.  Though now that I'm thinking about it, what about those months with 31 days?  Are you at the mercy of bad luck on the 31st?  Hmmm.  

February 2 - Groundhog Day, Kiwi Day, Tater Tot Day, Hedgehog Day
Yes, there were all those things to celebrate on this day.  As you can see, I had some kiwi with my strawberries, but kiwi has other meanings.  There was someone on TV that day that wasn't aware that a kiwi was also a bird native to New Zealand and that New Zealanders are sometimes referred to as Kiwis.  I think my blogging friend Sunshine in New Zealand can correct me if I'm wrong about that.  

Hedgehog Day historically precedes Groundhog Day and was celebrated by the Romans going way back.  It was interesting to find out that hedgehogs were introduced to the wilds of New Jersey back in the 19th century.  I knew someone who had a pet hedgehog, but the poor thing was blind.  I started a card with hedgehogs on it but it's still on the craft table unfinished so I can't share it yet.


And let me mention that HWNSNBP had his stand-by tater tots with dinner that day.  They weren't very celebratory however.

February 3 - Wear Red Day, Carrot Cake Day
We did splurge on a slice of carrot cake today for a special dessert.  

February 4 - Ice Cream for Breakfast Day. Homemade Soup Day

A local Ice Cream Shop was having a special fund raiser and was serving ice cream for breakfast.  I talked HWNSNBP into taking part.  They had a special menu which included choices for a baked item along with your ice cream of choice.  I chose the apple crisp, he had the waffle bowl.  It was a nice treat after our early morning debacle that day.  He went to the bank first thing in the morning to withdraw some cash and the ATM machine ate my debit card.  This happened before the bank was officially open for the day, but he banged on the door and someone told him he'd have to come back with me to take care of it.  So, we had to go back and make sure that card was cancelled and get a new one.  Then, after our breakfast, I had to go through our accounts to see which of them were associated with that old card and change the information.


I took care of that while I put a pot of chicken soup on.


I like lots of carrots in my soup.  I usually put a whole bag of them in with the chicken and a package of "soup greens".  And the thin egg noodles are cooked separately.  

When we first started dating, HWNSNBP and I were having lunch at his house - his mother had made chicken soup.  It was delicious, and I remember my grandmother asking about it.  You know those grandmothers can sometimes be "competitive" when it comes to cooking.  I told her that the soup was good, but it was a little tricky eating it because there were these black bits floating around in it and it took me a while to realize that they were bugs/beetles that must have been in the package of noodles.  I can still hear her laughing about that.  She also laughed when I told her that his mother thought it was strange that I saved the chicken for last and asked for some ketchup to put on it..... like my grandfather always did and therefore, so did we.  I still do that at home.  


February 5 - Nutella Day
I made a treat, a sandwich cookie, out of a couple of Biscoff cookies and a smear of Nutella.  It was so good, I ate it before I took a picture.

February 6 - Chopsticks Day
I really thought that I might do a craft with some unused chopsticks that we had gotten when we celebrated Chinese New Year last month, but I got sidetracked.  Instead I'll give you a short list of other ways that you can use those "free" chopsticks.

Paint Stirrers
Plant Markers/Supports
Toasting Marshmallows
Cleaning Tight Places (I like to use them to clean the hummingbird feeder with a little piece of paper towel and get to the bottom of that container)

February 7 - Send a Card to a Friend Day, Pizza Day (2 days early)
A local store mistakenly advertised Pizza Day for this day instead of the actual day of 2/9.  They were offering their pizzas at half price for the day, so HWNSNBP and I took advantage of getting one for lunch.  The owner, who we know, was a little embarrassed that they had made that mistake, but they must have done a great business that day anyway, because they were sold out very early.  Oh, and they had these delicious brownies as an additional special that day.

The next couple of days I was doing some Valentine projects for posting later.  But on 

February 11 - Peppermint Patty Day
We took a trip to Delaware with some Valentine goodies for GS2 but I did have a peppermint patty when we got back and

February 12 - Super Bowl Sunday, Pork Rind Day
I put pork rinds on the morning shopping list so HWNSNBP could have them as a snack during the game.  He didn't eat very many though because he mistakenly got the spicy ones which were even too spicy for his taste.  

1 comment:

  1. Tater Tots Day? Wonder how much the makers of Tater Tots had to pay to get that one!! And Pork Rind Day? That's just plain yeeeewwww.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.