Sunday, February 19, 2023

Where is Winter? And What Are we Celebrating?

I have to say that, knock on wood, we haven't had much of a winter as far as snow goes.  This past week the temps were in the low to mid 60's and I've been seeing postings all over the place of spring flowers already blooming.  This would include our Lenten Roses (hellebores), which, when I looked it up, traditionally bloom from February to April encompassing the 40 days of Lent - thus the name.  These would seem to be just a tad premature, but they are much earlier than they have been in the last few years that we've had them in the gardens.  Our daffodils are about 3" of leaves through the ground, and the bluebirds are actually starting to bring nesting material into the nest box outside the dining room window.  I hope they don't start laying their eggs yet.  


Saturday, February 18th was World Pangolin Day and I did a quick watercolor and washi tape card to go along with the homemade marshmallows that I made for my blogging buddy and Jingle Belle hostess Lauren.  I had promised them for Valentine's Day as I didn't get to make them for Christmas.  I had to use a different source for my cinnamon candies that we couldn't find before the holidays.  In the recipe, if I want to flavor the marshmallows anything other than vanilla, it calls for replacing 1/3 of the sugar with ground hard candy in the flavor you want.  I have tried wintergreen lifesavers before with okay results, but I haven't endeavored anything besides vanilla and cinnamon.  Note: Pangolins are not pink, I took artist liberty with that so it could match the marshmallows.


I found some gold cording and seed beads and added that to the little button heart project.


I had also found some gold tinsel-like thread that I was able to separate into individual strands and I used that to couch the cording and sew the beads on.  I'm almost tempted to either use gold foil or gold paint on that outside rim, but I'm afraid that it would make a mess of the fabric and I can't take it apart at this point.


We've been trying to have fish at least once a week and I noticed this on the package last week which made me shake my head.  I should certainly hope that my salmon fillet contains fish.  


Now, this may be hard to see clearly but let me try to explain.  This is the view of the garage with the light on inside from the kitchen window.  Unfortunately taking the picture through the window catches the reflection of what's nearby.  Why did I take it?  I told HWNSNBP that it looks like a dead alien lying on that shelf from where I'm standing.  Or maybe he's taking a nap.  


A better view would be of the little friends that I still have out for the season.  Gnomes, snowmen, polar bear, white mice, a husky, and my new little penguin (thanks Sabrina!).


I never got around to decorating this tree for Valentine's Day.  But it looks nice just the same.


Today was our son's birthday and we didn't get to see him in person but we did wish him a happy birthday.  We used a bonus gift card from the Cheesecake Factory to get a couple of slices of cheesecake for us to have in celebration.  They had all those special offers before Christmas where if you bought a gift card for a certain amount you would get an additional card in a smaller amount free.  We only had until the end of this month to redeem it, so today was a good day for that.

If you're looking to celebrate something this next week, here's what's coming up:  Monday is President's Day, Cherry Pie Day, and Muffin Day.  Tuesday is Mardi Gras and Paczki Day.  Ash Wednesday is this week and it's also Margarita Day.  Thursday is Chili Day and National Tile Day.  Friday you can celebrate Fish Fry Day and/or Tortilla Chip Day.  And Saturday have some Chocolate Covered Nuts while practicing your Tongue Twisters.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your son! Our grass is still green, unreal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your painting!
    The heart of buttons is so meticulous. Its beautiful. What is the background fabric?
    Glad you explained the picture. I never would have seen the alien. After you pointed it out, I couldn't keep my eye off of it.
    I once had a branch for a tree in my classroom that we started at Christmas. It ended up being a display of the Children's art work for each holiday thereafter that year. I only did that one year and don't know why I didn't keep it going. I think time just got by me and I never got out to look for that specific branch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy. I answered you in an email but I'll add here in case anyone else is curious that the fabric is what came wrapped around a bouquet of flowers - heavier than tissue and kind of like a stabilizer. Hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. Ha ha - 'contains fish' - ha ha. Proves we should pay more attention to reading labels because who knows what we might learn!
    Dire warnings here about a 'significant winter storm' bearing down on us and must say we're hopeful they're wrong. I know it's only February but I'm done with winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the pangolin is so sweet! I think it's horrible the way they are so abused for "traditional" medicines. They had a lovely one in the Wild Lights at the zoo last year.
    Love your winter friends - I'm glad you like the bird. They were Jamie's special this year. And the hellebore is beautiful. I didn't know that's why they were called the Lenten rose, but it makes a lot of sense.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.