Thursday, February 23, 2023

Thursday's Throw Aways Reboot

If you've been here with me from the beginning you may remember a feature that I did during the first year or so of my blogging experience called Thursday's Throw Aways.  I tried to create something using something that would have been normally thrown away.  Although I can't promise that this will be a regular weekly feature, I thought I might resurrect it and in the process use up some of the "stuff" that has been hanging around.  Or at least, in some cases, use a bit of it before I throw out the balance.  Going through stuff sometimes reminds me of the ideas I had that lead me to save it in the first place.  Some of it, admittedly, is just trash and gets tossed.

What didn't get tossed recently were the metal sewing findings that I have accumulated as I've collected jars and bags of buttons at flea markets and garage sales over the years.  That button project that I did recently turned up more than scads of buttons.  Remember this?


Having the tray of buttons and findings still within eyesight got me to wondering what I could do with all those snaps and fasteners.  So I started playing around with them and this appeared.


I originally laid it out on a sheet of paper and then transferred it to a 5 x 7 flat canvas board I had in my stash.  Initially I was getting very frustrated as all the tweezers I was trying were all magnetized and trying to push the findings off and place them just right wasn't working.  I finally found a pair of tweezers in a cheap manicure set that weren't magnetized and they made such a difference.  I was able to pick the finding up with the tweezers and touch it to a blob of glue so I could then glue it in place.


Couldn't make up my mind as to whether I should lay in color on the background before I got started but I'm glad I decided against it because I think the silver ones would not have shown up as well.

If I come across more of these metal things as I'm going through my stuff I might try to make a partner for this one.  Or maybe I should try another saved material.  Hmmmmmm, I'll have to think on that.

5 comments:

  1. Very clever indeed! You have a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have said no colour. I think it's fabulous - it reminds me of some of the sculptures that I see in the exhibition in the Botanic Gardens each year. I'm glad you found some non-magnetised tweezers, I can imagine that made it vastly easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is fantastic! What a wonderful stash of stuff! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely brilliant! I love your bird. Reminded me of an owl I did back when I was in my teens. It came in a kit filled with beads and findings that you glued on to create the bird. It was about 18" high and enjoyed pride of place in my bedroom for a long time - until the glue started giving way and the findings started falling off.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.