Friday, February 10, 2023

Happy Blogoversary - About That Notice

Picture it - Sunday, February 10, 2008, about a yard from where I'm sitting at the moment - a blog is born.

Sunday, February 10, 2008

OK - Here We Go

Welcome to Paper Vernissage. I guess I should start off and explain the title. Well, the "Paper" part of it comes from my latest medium of choice - paper. Be it cardstock, scrapbooking, wrapping, tissue, handmade, whatever. Paper is easy to come by and for the most part, it is easy to create with. And "Vernissage" is a one person art show. Fitting, don't you think! I hope to be able to figure this blogging thing out and share my latest creations. Wish me luck!

Back to present day.

So I think I have figured most of it out, though Blogger has thrown in some changes along the way.  As is often the case, changes are supposed to make things better, but sometimes they don't.  They sometimes make things more complicated and take the familiarity of certain tasks away.  But, it probably would be said that that is how we grow - adapting to change.  There are probably a bunch of tricks that I am not aware of, but I try to make things work for me, and hopefully my handful of consistent readers.  

Paper was my new medium of choice back then but often, as was evident in subsequent posts, it was accompanied by other artful enterprises and family events.  There was even a spin-off writing blog that has since been put to bed.  But, that is my creative life going in all directions at once.  

And there were early visitors and places that I visited that are no longer around.  I wonder where some of those people disappeared to - how they're doing, what they're doing, and if they still come around.  If they do, I say "hi!", missed you.  Let me know how things are going.  In any case I thank you for being there to spur me on and wish you the best.  

I spent a little time going through some older posts recently.  As I mentioned the other day, I received a couple of flags on a post from my blog.  I assumed that it was in reference to the most recent post as it appeared at the top of my post listing dashboard that only the blog creator sees.  And it doesn't say what the flag is for, only that it violates community rules and if not taken care of, there are a list of consequences.  I also heard from a friend who visits regularly that she had a blog shut down after getting a notice.  I really didn't want that to happen.  This is so much a part of me.

What I didn't find out until later last night was that I did receive e-mails from Blogger referencing the specific posts - yes there were 2 of them - but it didn't say specifically what was wrong with them which I found very frustrating because both of them were from 2012.  Yes, 2012.  Not 2022.  So why all of a sudden were they being flagged?

The first one was a pictorial description of HWNSNBP and myself making glass pumpkins at a local glass studio.  I read it and reread it and quite frankly was bewildered.  Did using descriptive language to illustrate the process suddenly become offensive?  It is the process of blowing glass afterall - no suggestiveness or innuendo to anything else intended.  But not having a way to know for sure, I edited and changed wording that even remotely could be mistaken.  I also removed one picture of HWNSNBP using his breath (see what I did there) through a tube about 6-8 feet away from the instructor that went into the tool (r o d) that held the pumpkin in his lap.  Then I asked for the post to be re-evaluated and it was clear to publish again.  

The second one was a post about a Teapot Tuesday card, again from 2012.  But this time in addition to changing some wording (really, didn't your mother or grandmother ever tell you to take that [Pu$$] off your face?) I removed a link to a sample that may have now contained a virus or malware.  Resubmitted it and it was clear to republish.  

So I don't know if all that re-submitting and republishing showed up in your reading list, but if it did, this is why and I apologize.  

I was going to include the holidays that we've (I've) been celebrating since February started in this post, but this is rather lengthy and I won't keep you any longer.  Look for that in the days to come and thank you for being here to begin with.  

3 comments:

  1. Standing by to hear what you post next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogiversary, in spite of the curve balls Blogger is throwing you. Wishing you many happy returns, or the blogging equivalent. I always enjoy your posts, photos and creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogiversary! You sent me down the garden path wondering when I started mine and it turns out it was Mar 20 2006....who knew I could mumble for that long?!!
    As for Blog-grrrrrr flagging posts - interesting. I've never (touch wood) had any of my posts flagged but have had a few notifications from Pinterest about something I've saved that wasn't up to their standards (usually because it was copyrighted and I was unaware of that).

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.