Wednesday, February 3, 2021

It's a Puzzlement

January was a puzzling month.  I don't mean that in a questioning way.  Just that I put my new puzzle table that HWNSNBP made to use.  Starting with a 200 piece.  Onto a 500 piece.  And then the 1000 piece.  Each challenging in their own way.



This one was a challenge because of the orientation.  I had to work on it sideways to fit it on the table.  Can you find the flying pig?


I had to dismantle the last one pretty quickly as we had our grandson for the day on Saturday and he has temporarily repurposed his mother's puzzle table as his LEGO table and I knew he would want to play with the LEGO's we have here.  


He picked the "projects" that he wanted to work on with each of us.  He also told us that our house was "too sunny" which we kind of like as we have very limited window treatments and none in some places that face the backyard with no neighbors in sight.  But we're taller and older and the sun doesn't usually get us in the eyes like it did for him.  So we wound up taping newspapers to the sliding doors to give him some "good shade".  (Grandma's thumb wasn't in as much danger as Papa's!)


I think I have a couple of older puzzles that I haven't done yet that I might have to get out.  They say that doing jigsaw puzzles is good exercise for your brain.  When I put the puzzle table on the dining room table it puts the puzzle at a good height to stand without straining my back giving me a respite from too much sitting during the course of the day.  

I recently saw an article about the Pomodoro Technique.  It has to do with time management and I think primarily aimed at the working population.  Being retired it would seem that one would not need to manage one's time but it is so easy to get lost or sidetracked that sometimes I wonder what I have done all day.  So I've been giving this technique a little try - and this is where the puzzling comes in.  Standing to work on the puzzle for 20-25 minutes gives me a break from what I'm doing and a chance to refocus on what I want to accomplish in the day.  Of course, those breaks don't have to always be with puzzling.  They could be reading breaks, or organizing breaks...... I think you get the picture.  

Why is it called the Pomodoro Technique?  Because the originator used a tomato-shaped timer and pomodoro is another name for tomato.  

3 comments:

  1. The puzzle table is in use here too. Resident Chef just finished one and is sorting the pieces for another. Keeps him amused and when I wander by I usually stop and add a piece or two. I could easily spend a lot of time at it but I leave the pleasure to him.
    Interesting to not only read about the Pomodoro technique but also the origin of the name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work on the puzzles Lorraine! You are spending such quality time with your grandson too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too sunny! That's a good complaint, but I'm glad you had a quick fix. Lovely jigsaws - the bird one is my favourite but the balloon one must have been great fun.
    I think I might need your technique with jigsaws, as I tend to get too absorbed and sstay too long. Someone gave me an Advent calendar one this year, which was certainly a way of making time finite.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.