Tuesday, March 21, 2023

End of Winter Days

Last Monday (March 13th) was National Elephant Day and I knew that I had a couple of elephant related stamps and dies that hadn't been used yet so I thought I'd make some cards with them.  The first two use a stamp gifted to me by Sabrina called Elephant van Gogh*.  I stamped the elements on two different types of paper to begin with - regular cardstock and watercolor paper.  I used watercolor pencils on the watercolor paper and Prismacolor pencils on the cardstock.  The painting with the tulips was created with paint pens.  Then I fussy cut the motifs out.  The card with the yellow background is slightly larger so I added the "hello" sentiment.  The second one has the sentiment on the painting.





I got this forest silhouette elephant die recently.  I did not try to make it into a sticker first as I sometimes do with intricate dies because this is very open at the tops and I knew that once I removed the sticker backing it would be a bear to get all those "trees" going in the right direction.  So I relied on using a glue pen which worked out quite well.  I haven't added any sentiments to these but invision something very thin in the upper right hand section - maybe embossed on a sliver of black cardstock.



On Tuesday, March 14 it was Pi Day and HWNSNBP found a Marie Callender frozen lemon Meringue pie that we shared for dessert the rest of the week.  It was quite delicious and a nice refreshing treat.

Did you Beware the Ides of March on the 15th?

Another card was made on the 16th using a panda for National Panda Day.  


Always, ever so slowly cleaning out my craft room I came across a small basket of things tucked away and in it were these pandas - a key chain I used during my college years and a fuzzy panda figure I don't recall.  I used to collect panda-related things in high school and for a while afterwards.  I have a few other little remembrances of that time in other places where the memories are hiding.  I come across them now and then.  


These two things were also in that basket.  Some might remember what they are and what they're used for.  Finding things like this is like opening a time capsule.  


On St. Patrick's Day I celebrated with a Shamrock Shake.  We had some delicious Irish soda bread scones earlier in the week that we got at The Fresh Market but they were all sold out by St. Patrick's Day so I was a little disappointed about that.

We visited Delaware on Saturday.  It was Quilting Day and Sloppy Joe Day, but we just concentrated on spending some time with GS2 and his mom and dad.  He was quite proud to show us the caterpillar that he made at daycare.


Sunday was Poultry Day and I wanted to share this from Fat Hen Farms ( #fathenfarms) on Instagram.  He raises button quails and posts pictures of his buddy Finn in hats - all kinds of hats that people send him.  He has videos of the tiniest little quail chicks that really look like they're the size of peeps candies.  Here is Finn in his new "Pig" hat.


*I've been watching a show on HBOMax called the Great Pottery Throwdown.  It's format is much like The Great British Baking Show but instead they are potters from all over Great Britain participating in the challenges.  What I found interesting that relates to this post is the way that van Gogh is pronounced.  I had to investigate a little more as I've always pronounced it Van Go - which is considered wrong.  The British on that show pronounced it Van Goff - which is also wrong.  According to the Dutch it should be pronounced van hohk.  There are videos on google if you're one who has to hear it.  

4 comments:

  1. Lots going on now that spring is here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The quail chick is adorable. Thanks for sharing. I loved that with the elephant stamp we can create our own canvases - need to pull mine out again. The die is amazing.
    I guess that it's probably okay to pronounce names differently when you're speaking a different language. After all, Paris is Paree in French. I grew up calling the Dutch cheese Gouda goo-da. I just recently asked a Dutch friend living in France the correct pronunciation and she said gow-da is how the Dutch pronounce it, but in France it's goo-da so I obviously got that from my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what both of those things are for (and thus I'm definitely revealing my age!!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the comical elephant artists. The tree elephant is very unusual. I have to ask what occasion it would be used for? You are so talented.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.