Saturday, January 1, 2022

Happy New Year

Learn from yesterday,

Live for today,

Hope for tomorrow.

A. Einstein

Last January I started charting the daily high and low temperatures using this website (click here) with the intent of doing a temperature afghan/quilt (but I never got the yarn/fabric).  I put the information into an Excel spreadsheet and HWNSNBP, my in-house Excel Expert, helped me with the formula to get the average daily temperature.  I then created three sheets with that information - Average, High, and Low.  I created a color key for temperatures in 10 degree increments and filled in the boxes accordingly.

Average Daily Temperature


High


Low


Of course these all use the colors that I chose, but they can be changed.  I've also seen where some use smaller increments to have more colors.  This looks involved but it's the kind of stuff that I find fun to do.  

I have a cheap (I'm talking $Tree) desk calendar that I keep in front of  my laptop and record things on it as some might record in a journal.  Events, appointments, to do's, where we ate or shopped that day, things accomplished (like whether I made a card(s) that day) or what project I worked on, and a notation of the high/low temp of the day.  I can look back on the month and/or year to see what's been going on and when and I have last year's calendar to compare with.  The only downfall to this particular calendar, if you would call it that, is that it's a school oriented calendar - meaning it goes from August to July instead of the traditional Jan-Dec.  They came in a nice vinyl sleeve which I found I only use when the year is up because it's too much of a pain to take it in and out daily and easier to get to the current one with a quick note if it's not in the sleeve.  

We do still have wall calendars in the house - one in the kitchen/dining area and HWNSNBP has one in his workshop and I found that I had to order my calendar online this year as the pickings were slim at the bookstore we usually get mine at.  I have a wooden frame suitable for the larger Lang calendars that we've been using and would like to continue to use, so I usually look for something that I like in that size.  When we went to the bookstore after Christmas (when they're traditionally on sale) there was only one that I was vaguely interested in and they weren't on sale so I decided to order one that had art that I would enjoy.  Next year I'll order early as this one won't be in until mid week.  Funny that the first of January is one of the only times that I remember to change the month on the calendar on the first and this time I'll have to wait.  Well, I'll enjoy the december scene a little longer.

Wishing everyone a happy, healthy, and prosperous 2022!






4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. thanks for your reply Lorraine, my email is cmlk79@yahoo.com, it is on my blog somewhere.

      Delete
  2. A question on my amarillis Lorraine, how exactly do I put the plant outside do I just put the pot in the garden won't animals disturb it.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.