Thursday, November 26, 2020

Happy Thanksgiving 2020

 "M U F F I N S"

Spelled backwards describes what you do when you take them out of the oven.

May all the scents of Thanksgiving fill you with warmth and gratitude.





Throwback to Thanksgiving 1985


We'll be celebrating Thanksgiving apart from our family this year.  We knew we had to keep our plans fluid due to the pandemic restrictions, but we had planned on visiting our daughter and family in DE.  Then this morning they were notified that another child in our grandson's daycare class tested positive for COVID-19.  Our grandson hadn't been in school all week due to a case of croup, but he will have to be tested and they are in quarantine now because no one really knows the time frame for exposure.  So, we drove down to the end of New Jersey yesterday afternoon and met Rachel at the rest stop with a cooler full of apple pie, pumpkin roll, and devilled eggs.  She has the rest of the meal planned, including an 18 pound turkey and will be sending everything to her in-law's house after it's cooked and they have their portions.  Luckily, we thought ahead and picked up a small turkey breast for just the two of us and I can muster up the side dishes.  Dessert is not a problem - I had already made a pumpkin roll for us and HWNSNBP picked up a small coconut custard pie to have.  Rachel also gave us a couple of slices of pumpkin pie when we made the drop.  I know she's upset both that we won't be there and more so that there's the possibility that they've all been exposed now to the virus.  They'll all be getting tested and we're praying that everything will be okay.  

So I'll end with a little bit of a funny story.  

I will first say that I am very lucky..... and thankful...... that HWNSNBP does the shopping for us.  He is an early riser and can get in and out of the grocery store first thing in the morning when it is less crowded.  So last weekend he told me to leave him a list of what I needed from the store to prepare for the holiday and I did.  I was finishing up my breakfast when he got back with the bags and left them on the counter for me to unpack while he went on to his next chore.  I was unpacking the bags and was a little perplexed when I pulled out a single orange.  I hadn't planned using an orange in anything so I called to him and asked him what he was going to do with the orange.  He told me he wasn't going to do anything with it - adding very adamantly that it was on the list.  I asked him if he still had the list and he pulled it out of his jacket pocket and started to point to it ........ and there it was....... 1 orange pepper.  He did offer to go back to the store and get the pepper, but I told him it could wait.  

I just don't think that orange rind would have been good for these..........


If you really want a good laugh, check out this video of Jeanne Robertson on why you shouldn't send a man to the grocery store.



HAPPY THANKSGIVING


4 comments:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving! That was funny about the orange(pepper)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I hope you found a use for that "orange"!!
    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lorraine, it almost makes my cry that your plans fell through like that. I do hope they all escaped and stay safe. One of the women in work today had just heard of a friend who had it, along with her husband and one child. She said it almost made her feel like giving up work - but I pointed out that we are all very careful and most of us have been on-site since March. I like your funny story, and yes, you are very lucky. Both on the early rising and that he does it - C will come along, but he goes and mooches while I do the grocery shopping. I think he'd probably collapse if he saw the price of things now! These days I try to go at 7.30 or 8 on my day off and it's very civilised. I wish it would stay with those hours!!
    I was just remembering the time I made pumpkin roll from your recipe! Now it's easier to find canned pumpkin here and I have some in the cupboard so I should make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry your plans had to change but I guess you're not alone during these times. Christmas will be more of the same I know. All we can do is maintain a good attitude and know that it's not forever.
    Loved the orange pepper story!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.