Friday, March 28, 2008

Altered CD Case

So here is the project that I spent working on most of the day yesterday. I had been browsing blogs (when I should have been stamping) and came across this one (scroll down) and loved the concept. I do have the stamps to do that same project, but I wanted to use something more current, and that I hadn't used already. Then I thought of my new Bloomin' Beautiful stamp set from the Occasions Mini. That paired with the Ginger Blossom designer paper might work -

Now to find the CD cases. I have a couple of few boxes of things that I have set aside to alter and I was pretty sure that there were CD cases in there. So I went on a hunt (this was actually 2 days ago) and found the cases but they were the slim ones - blah! But, I remembered that Stacy had mentioned either in her tutorial or in the comments that went with it that you could get them at WalMart. This wasn't so bad you see, as I was wanting to travel down the highway in that direction to get my first ice cream cone of the year from Polar Cub which opened last week.

So, when my husband came home from work I coaxed him into taking a ride and both things were accomplished - BTW, Polar Cub ice cream can't be beat!!!

And so, the first step was to stamp the image and color it. I chose to use my watercolor crayons and aquapainter (see post below about the extra tool I used). I stamped my image on Confetti White cardstock in SU's Basic Gray Ink - I think it's subtler than the black and it doesn't run or blend when wet. Cameo Coral, Ruby Red, and Bravo Burgundy were used for the flowers. I gave the whole blossom area a wash with the lightest color first - let that dry, then went back and put in the Ruby Red highlights on the edges of the blossoms - let that dry, then put in the Bravo Burgundy highlights only on the points of some of the petals. The centers of the blossoms are Ruby Red. Garden Green was used on the leaves. Because I wanted to pop up some of the blossoms, the blossom image had to be done twice. The third image that was stamped and colored was for the vase and the under layer of flowers. You can't see in the picture, but the under layer is not detailed like the layer that is popped up. (Oh, the vase was colored using Really Rust.)

I stamped a square of Very Vanilla CS with Choc. Chip ink using the Weathered background stamp. Then mounted that on a layers of Ruby Red and Choc. Chip CS.

I added the Hodgepodge Hardware piece to the Choc. Chip grosgrain ribbon. I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. Now I either need to get one of those stands or a picture hanger for the back.

BTW - that blue haze in the pictures is not my watermark, it's me. I couldn't seem to get a good picture of the case without getting some kind of reflection. Sorry about that.

1 comment:

  1. Stacey Carter4/23/08, 7:14 PM

    I love your altered cd case. It is so beautiful. I think the hodgepodge hardware piece really adds something on the front of the case. Very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.