Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Jingle Belles - The 12 Days of Christmas

Being so close to Valentine's Day the Jingle Belles have asked us to take a hint from the lyrics in the song "The 12 Days of Christmas" - specifically "my true love gave to me".  It could directly or indirectly relate to the song or it could be love-based with a heart present.....get the picture?  

I took my cue from the verse regarding the 2 Turtle Doves because I just happened to have a 2 turtle dove die with mistletoe.  


I also snuck in 5 Golden Rings which in this case, are large gold sequins sewn on with gold seed beads within gold rings that I punched from the same gold card stock I used for the circle behind the birds.  I got this idea when I found myself sorting through a container of sequins that I found in my craft room though I didn't know how I would incorporate them at first.  


In and amongst those sequins were also some spangle sequins which are the same size as the ones that I used but they had a much larger hole.  Sorting those sequins not only brought back memories of when I would sort through my grandmother's box of buttons, but it also brought back memories of when my grandmother crocheted these women's hats back in the 60's (see picture below that I found on the internet).  I was talking with my godmother recently (my grandmother's sister) and asked her if she remembered those hats.  She told me that she thought she still had a couple of them in her closet and she was going to have someone look for them.  I told her not to worry about it, but it would be a hoot to see one in person again after all these years.  I remember my grandmother made them in bunch of different colors and I know my mother had several but I doubt she still has hers.  


There were a bunch of cellophane packets in that sequin container that contained other shaped pieces which I'm pretty sure were leftovers from the ornaments that HWNSNBP and I used to make some of our first Christmas tree ornaments.  There was a craft shop not too far from where we live now that sold kits containing the satin balls, sequins, pearls, pins, and ribbons to make those decorations and we would pick one out and put it together on a Sunday afternoon while the football games were on.  We still have those ornaments and still hang some of them on the tree each year.  

Okay, enough reminiscing - time to visit the Jingle Belles and leave some love for all the entries.  You can see all the beautiful work for yourself if you click here.

7 comments:

  1. Oh Lorraine, I love this post! Your card is wonderful with those gorgeous little doves under the mistletoe and your clever addition of the five gold rings. But I was so interested to hear about your memories of your grandmother crocheting the sequin hats in the 60s - they look fab don't they! I loved sorting through button and sewing boxes as a child too. How lovely to have made your own sparkly decorations from a kit too! Thank you for sharing :) Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh (smacking self upside the head)...I had to read the part about the 'two turtledoves die with mistletoe' before it registered that you meant A die not dying!! Yikes. And I've had my coffee too. Maybe I need another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, the card is of course awesome but i'm now totally obsessed with your nana's awesome HAT!!! that is just so super cool i cannot believe it!

    but... about the card... those dies are PERFECTION (they have the same adorable but slightly goofy look that the doves who visit our feeder have. (& they nearly ALWAYS arrive in pairs as well!) i LOVE the five gold rings, too. i have been secretly hoping for 2 wks that sonmeone would do a version of that line... personally i thought that was the "gimme" for a cardmaker, but in fact we've got the most versions of 4 calling birds and 2 turtledoves. (not that i'm complaining, they are all AWESOME!)

    as always i love to see what you will do and i feel inspired to take some of your ideas away with me! thank you for hanging with us at JINGLE BELLES!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those turtle doves are so lovely ... so very glad you joined us for the 12 Days of Christmas at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh thank-you SO much for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I need to bookmark a place like yours for the professional card ideas. I'm no where near the pro look you offer with your beautiful 'Turtle Dove' golden card. Wow!
    I think the purple fabric type material from your flowers would be a great upcycle! Can't wait to see what you create.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweet little turtle doves and a great way of incorporating the five gold rings. Those big sequins look fabulous.
    Button boxes are such fun, aren't they! Mine still contains a few favourite buttons from my mother's.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.