Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Rainbow Fairies

Something popped up in my Pinterest feed that caught my eye a couple of weeks ago.  Well, lots of things actually catch my eye in my feed, but this one seemed to be calling my name.  So I added a few things to my shopping list for my next trip to Michael's - rainbow yarn and some felt to match.  I was certain that I had the rest of the ingredients and a pompom maker as I had seen it when we were doing some reorganization in the den last Fall.  But of course when I wanted to use it, I couldn't find it and gave up after 3 days and decided on another trip to Michael's.  

 

They had a two-pack and a four-pack.  I opted for the two-pack and used the smaller one of these on my pompoms.  (At least I had a coupon.)  I purposely made loosey goosey pompoms because I wanted the floppiness of them and I also wanted to make sure that I only used the one skein of yarn.  I probably have enough yarn left over for one more.  

 

I cut a square of each of the felt pieces and ironed them to a piece of freezer paper.  (You iron the waxed side to the felt.)  Then I was able to trace a punched butterfly onto the paper side of each of the pieces and cut that out.  I used pinking shears to cut out a circle about the size of a penny from the scraps.


There are a few steps missing here.  I had two packages of wooden peg dolls that I asked HWNSNBP to cut down for me and then I painted the bottom portion of them to match the felt as closely as possible.  Paint pens from my stash came in handy for this, plus two other acrylic paint colors that I had on hand.


After I glued the butterfly wings to the back and the little caps to the heads I then added some white satin ribbon loops to the back.  Then each of the tops were glued to a pompom.  All the gluing was done with my glue gun.







I was blessed with two wonderful grandsons who have no interest in fairies so I will keep these entirely to myself.  Right now I'm continuing to enjoy them on this tray, but I will most likely make them into a garland for my craft room.  

The source of my inspiration came from Raising Up Rubies - a blog post of hers from 2014.  She also has a pretty cool Etsy shop by the same name.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lorraine, I love your "fairies"! What a fun idea, and they look so cute and colourful!
    Have a great Easter!
    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are absolutely gorgeous, made me smile so much. What fun.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.