Sunday, February 9, 2020

Have I Mentioned My Paint Pouring Experimenting?

I don't think that I've shared any of my paint pours here yet.  Paint pouring is basically just pouring layers of paint on a surface and manipulating the surface to get pretty effects.  The kind of paint and the use of additives can affect the outcome.  For my first experiment with pouring I went the cheap route and bought pretty much all my supplies, including paint, at the dollar store.  Dollar Tree has acrylic paint in tubes in a variety of colors.  They also have both Mod Podge and white glue which can be added to the paint to get "cells" and I've learned that that doesn't always happen.  I also picked up a canister of automotive silicon lubricant there.  

For these particular pours, for each color I mixed equal parts of paint and Mod Podge and added water until the paint was the consistency of pancake batter and ran off the popsicle stick (used for mixing) without leaving a mound.  Once all the colors were mixed, I then got another plastic cup and started layering the paint in that cup.  (There are lots of videos on YouTube to see the different processes.) These squares are wooden pieces leftover from our shiplap project in our condo bathrooms. HWNSNBP was kind enough to cut a bunch of them up for me and they were already primed with white paint.  

Let me just add here that my very first set of pours were pretty much garbage as I tried to use all the colors that I had along with the silicon and they looked pretty good when wet, but turned quite muddy when dry, so I will keep them to myself.

These blue and green ones turned out pretty good.


Before I began pouring, I quickly brushed some of the mixed white paint over the surface so the pour would move easier over the surface.  You can see that there are cells in some of them.




Lot's of cells here.  




This is a different color combo.  I tried this after a similar pour that I chucked because I inadvertently picked up a bright pink tempera paint instead of acrylic and it didn't flow well and when it dried it was flat as opposed to the shininess of the acrylic.  So I tried again.  And as the paint cup got near empty, I added a bit of purple to the mix. for some contrast.






My other Dollar Store tools that helped with these experiments were plastic drop cloths, plastic shot cups, aluminum pans and wire cooling racks, rubber gloves (though I found those cumbersome and opted for bare hands for the most part), plastic pallet tools, popsicle sticks, and painters tape.

These were all experimental but they gave me enough desire to go out and buy some more expensive paint and to get myself some Floetrol to use as an additive to the paint to get it to flow better.  Those results will follow soon.  


4 comments:

  1. Oh!!!! I love the blue and green ones. Like weather maps (not today, with the storm we have here, though) or aerial photopgraphy of tropical islands. Thanks for the tips on texture. I've been wanting to try this, I even got some plastic shot glasses for a mini one, but have been delaying because all the unknown factors. I like the idea of painting the surface with white first to help the paint spreading. I know they have the medium in the art shop in Cork - next time I visit my sister I might get it, but I'm aiming to try with white glue first. Or Mod Podge, as that seems to have worked so well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lorraine. I have been wanting to try this after watching a lot of videos. You have inspired me to try it. I want to try it with some gold paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny thing - I picked up some gold glitter paint to try with the pink on and I should have stayed away from the glitter and stuck with plain gold. You'll have to let me know how it comes out!

      Delete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.