Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Teapot Tuesday 60

Hard to believe I haven't posted anything since last Thursday! Acccchhh! You know that doesn't necessarily mean that I haven't been doing anything, don't you? I think these summer hours that I've been working have really caught up with me. But..... the good news is, this week is the last week I have to work them! Yeah!!!!

You can expect to see what I've been up to in the next couple of days. But right now, let's turn our attention to this gorgeous lighthouse teapot. Those of you who know me know that I do love lighthouses. HWNSNBP and I have participated in the Great NJ Lighthouse Challenge for the last 9 years (it's held in October). When I went to link my posts about it I realized that I never finished posting the pictures from this years' challenge. I might have to remedy that, but not today.

Today I'm going to ask you to go over to Cindy Motherway's glob and look at the simply wonderful lighthouse card that she created. She definitely is a paper genius! The story that goes with the teapot this week has us trekking up to Peggy's Cove in Nova Scotia and we have to pay for our lodgings in the lighthouse by catching or providing 42,000 lbs. of fish.

So given my love of lighthouses, you would think that this challenge would have been a breeze. Not so much. Believe it or not, I only recently picked up this lighthouse stamp. I got it at a little stamp store down in Delaware that is, unfortunately, closing. That store was really what got me so interested in stamping to begin with. I found the store while exploring a little when my daughter attended the University there. She had given me a gift certificate to the store for Christmas and thank goodness we managed a trip there in May.

Yes, I know, enough blabbering. I stamped the image on confetti white cardstock so that I could use my inks and an aquapainter to paint in the scene surrounding it. I'm not particularly happy with this card. I started it late last night and actually had the lighthouse on a dirt cliff. Then I realized that we were supposed to be in Nova Scotia and the lighthouse, if it were on a cliff, would probably be on a rock cliff. So after I totally screwed up the dirt/rocks with ink, I resorted to adding paper boulders.

I have to tell you that when I showed the card to HWNSNBP, he told me that it looked like the ink on the lighthouse was dripping. Sorry hon, that's the way the artist drew it.

I used my Top Note die to frame the picture. I gave it some wood texture with my cuttlebug. I wanted to add some roping and knots and actually found a cool website with animations of how to tie fishing knots, but I went with a simple overhand for this. The card base is Creamy Caramel with the edges sponged in the same color.

Oh, and don't let me forget the fish. I didn't know where to add any fish to the card, so I added some goldfish crackers to the photo.

So, whaddya think? Do you think it's missing something?

Don't forget to go check out the Teapot Tuesday Gallery on Splitcoast. There's some jaw droppers there!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lorraine! First of all let me tell you I am thrilled that this is the last of your long hours! Hope you can relax a little!

    You have once again made a very creative and fun card! I love the boulders of Nova Scotia...the light in the lighthouse and what a kick you are....adding a bowl of little fishie crackers! Giggle!

    I got a pm from a woman I don't know....she asked me for a link to the site I found the teapot on....she was going to purchase it! Its a really good price right now...I will pm you that link too....

    I love the shape of your little frame...and the rope and knots the way you tied them are awesome! Love to see you again girlfriend! We are getting close to our quota of fish.....close to being able to relax and share some tea!!! Maybe some fishing stories too!

    Snugs!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for linking back to your real lighthouse challenge, I so enjoyed the trip. For all the lighthouses that we have here, I think I've only ever been in two - there is one down in the south-west that has been turned into a very good visitor centre. But when we were in Paris earlier this year we went to the Maritime Museum, and saw some lenses just like the ones in your photo. Amazing to see how the light magnifies depending on the angle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA, love the fish :) You are too funny! Beautiful image

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let me be the first to explain:

    Never photograph a card with food in front of it.

    and if you can't figure out where "fish go" in a water picture........uh..........

    I still love you anyway.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.