Sunday, August 23, 2009

The Ikea Influence

My daughter Rachel was home for a few days last week and during that time we took an excursion to IKEA; in her words - her Disneyworld.  She is moving into a new apartment and needed some "stuff".  Of course it always helps to have mom and dad, who heroically offered to come along to help with the heavy stuff, with you.  (I really think he wanted the meatballs!) 

When you shop in the store in Elizabeth, the tax rate is lower, which is another reason why we went there.  They are not quite done with their renovations, but we managed to find the things she needed and more.


I found this tray
Isn't it cool! 

And here's how the conversations went:

When I showed it to HWNSNBP: "What are you going to do with that?"

When I showed it to Rachel: "That's cute."
                                         Me:  "What am I going to do with it?"
                                   Rachel:  "Mom, it's only $6.  Go for it."




And so I did.  And so I did this
The card is stamped with the hostess set The More The Merrier on Whisper White and I used all the new In-colors to color the birds with my blender pen.

It's mounted on a panel of Melon Mambo that I ran through the Big Shot with the Finial Press Textured Impression embossing folder.  I added a border of Basic Black scallops and some Bermuda Bay polka-dotted ribbon.  I wanted black brads so I took some of the white ones I had and embossed the heads with black embossing powder.  (Be careful and make sure to use a long handled tweezer or pliers to hold the brads while embossing!)

The sentiment is another one from Teeny Tiny Wishes and punched out with the word window punch.

You never know where you'll get your inspiration from or your good advice to go for it! 

I think she learned that from me!

7 comments:

  1. I think I might have managed to talk myself into making the card without buying the tray - but at $6, you can always use a tray, and both it and the card are delightful.
    And what am I talking about, anyway - I've had a teapot in my eBay watch list for 3 months now that I want to make a card from and am still wondering about buying. But with a tray, you know it will hold stuff. A teapot, you don't know if it will dribble till you try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that tray!!!! and I love your card!!! I love IKEA, the one in New Haven is only 15 minutes away; but I try not to go too often!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute tray, I may have to go to IKEA now LOL - Adorable card too, perfectly inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. If I had bought the tray, it would be sitting on the counter top gathering dust while I wondered "What am I going to do with this."

    YOU have imagination! I usually have buyer's regret and the neighbors love going through my trash can.

    You got an adorable card out of that "tray" and I can't believe you went to the trouble of embossing a brad.

    p.s. My hair is too thin to be glorious like your's, but I wanted you to know that I'm now fixing my hair like yours in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is HWNSNBP ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. T C,
    HWNSNBP is He Whose Name Shall Not Be Published - in other words, my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie Modrowsky8/29/2009 8:55 PM

    I really like the tray...for $6 I would not have even hesitated.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.