Friday, February 9, 2024

Friday Reflections

The sun is out today and HWNSNBP has gone for the afternoon to walk about the annual woodworking show at the expo center.  So I can turn the tv off and listen to the sounds that surround me today and do some uninterrupted yard watching.

The little flamingo solar dancer in the window to my left is providing me with a metronomic rhythm as I listen to the sounds of other birds outside the windows who I'm sure are revelling in the somewhat warmer temperatures of today.  

I can hear a mourning dove in the front yard - perhaps even in the andromeda bush next to the front porch.  Is is calling for a mate?  Or perhaps just thinking about the coming spring?

In the distance I can hear several sounds of blue jays.  They have a melodic call at times, much like a whistle, and also a very raucous call when they're agitated and I'm hearing both but at different places in the yard.  

The little woodpeckers (not sure if they're the downy's or the hairy's) are taking turns at the suet feeder hoping off when the blue jay comes to get it's share.  There's also a flicker coming to take a nibble now and then while the juncos diligently clean up under the suet feeder hopefully making for less "weeds" sprouting in the spring and summer.  And a black-capped chickadee is also taking a turn at the acrobatics required to hang on to the suet cage.  I imagine those people that get seasick on a boat wouldn't want to come back as a bird who has to eat while moving at times.  

Our little heated bird bath had gone dry overnight making me suspicious of a larger animal visitor having a drink.  HWNSNBP cleaned it up and added some fresh water before he left and there must be a slight breeze outside because I can see from where I'm sitting the reflection on the ceiling and the dancing effect it has.  It's quite mesmerizing and together with the sound of the flamigo dancer, almost hypnotic.  Oops, where'd it go?  Passing cloud for a moment.  Ahhh, there, it's back.  Later this afternoon, when the sun is more westerly and peeks through the kitchen window where the hanging crystals are, there will be rainbows on the ceiling, not to the extent of those you might remember from the scene in Pollyana with the chandelier crystals (click here) but enough to make me stop and enjoy them, even for a few seconds.

The worm feeder is currently empty.  HWNSNBP mentioned filling it, but something distracted him but  I know he'll get to it later.  The bluebirds will love him for it.  They're always hanging around.  

There's not too much activity at the seed feeder right now but I think that some of the birds will be happy that HWNSNBP got a new cover for his truck bed this week because he parks right next to that feeder and they sometimes like to congregate on the dark surface of it - leaving little presents at times of course.  (He had to get a new one because the one he had unexpectedly flew off the back of the truck while he was driving - for no apparent reason.  We were just thankful that it didn't cause an accident.)

A little peek at what I've been working on ........


Some Valentine hearts were colored for cards and I've been folding origami wish stars while I've been watching the Portrait Artist of the Year series on Prime.  You also see a pair of earrings and bracelet there - something I decided to wear recently in addition to my necklace I wear everyday which I haven't done in quite a long while.  I wasn't a fancy dresser for work, but my style is definitely much more casual since retiring but it's nice to add a little sparkle now and then.

Well, let me get done rambling and on with my projects for the days.  Valentine's Day is next week and I have some other cards to get done too and I would like to take advantage of the quiet.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me Valentine's Day is next week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaaaaah - just reading the description of your day was restful, so thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely description of the birdsong and activity on your garden. The floral heart is beautiful. I look forward to seeing what the stars are intended for.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.