Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Intober Tangles +

I teased my Inktober plan in an earlier post and here it is getting started.  Working with the black paper and pastels brings with it some challenges.  I have a special glove that only has the last two fingers on it that I wear on my drawing hand so I don't smudge what I've worked on already since I am not strictly going left to right.  I also have to be careful not to touch my face and keep my hands pretty clean in general so as not to leave oil marks.  So far, so good.


Here is the first week's worth of tangles.


And then, the second.  I have numbers penciled in that correspond to the list of tangles that was provided.  I have done a bit of switching along the way as I found some patterns that were too similar next to each other.  Hopefully it will not look too chaotic.


Reading some pumpkin facts lately, I don't remember where, I knew that not all pumpkins are good for pie because my MIL used to want a specific pumpkin she called a cheese pumpkin to make her pies with.  I think it was a squatty pumpkin like the one that I've drawn, but I'm not entirely sure.  I was surprised to learn that when you use canned pumpkin puree it is recommended that you squeeze out all the liquid before adding it to your recipes.  That's an extra step I've never taken when I make my pumpkin roll in the past.  It's never seemed to affect the moisture level, but I guess it might have a more intense pumpkin flavor if it was drained first.  Anyone do this?

On the Sanntangle FB page they usually have a couple of tangles that you can do along with the instructor - here are two that I have done.  I'm doing these in a sketchbook as opposed to tiles and they are not exact replicas of theirs, but pretty close.



The first one was colored with watercolor pencils and the second was colored with pastel chalk pencils.  I had a set of 6 of those chalk pencils and decided to use what was left of an Amazon gift card I recently found that was unused to buy a larger set of 24.  They are made in the USA by General's, the same company that makes the smaller set of watercolor pencils I've been using.  It does say Made in the USA on the box, but thanks to Maryann from Magpie's Mumblings I found out how you can figure out the country of origin on a product by the bar code if it's not printed on the packaging.  She shared this graphic on her blog (and she shared her newly finished denim creation that is spectacular, just click on the link above).


Yikes, I still have to get to my pink Christmas card....................

3 comments:

  1. Lovely work Lorraine. Neat to know about the bar codes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine how difficult it must be to work with pastels on black. The first couple of photos when there is not much filled in very much remind me of Australian aboriginal art, but then as it becomes filled in I'm thinking mediaeval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh - that pumpkin is going to be spectacular! A little-known tidbit about the canned pumpkin you buy - it's often not pumpkin at all, but squash.
    And...thank you for the shout out!!!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.