Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Birdtober - Days 15-21

Three weeks of birds - some of these needed further exploration as I looked for better samples than I had pre-saved.  There are a lot more with neutral colors this round which I find challenging using the watercolor pencils.  I kept thinking that it would be easier to use my actual Prismacolor pencils with more range in the neutrals but I didn't want to switch mid-way through the challenge.  The sketchbook that I've chosen to use is watercolor paper and very textured and would not work well with the regular colored pencils.  So, if I do this next year, I think I will be changing my choice of media to work with.

Day 15 - White-naped Crane
(for bird info click here)


Day 16 - Cattle Egret (Head view because of all the white in the body)
(for bird info click here)


Day 17 - Turaco
There are so many variations of this bird it was hard to choose from.
(for bird info click here)


Day 18 - Cape Batis
(for bird info click here)


Day 19 - Pink Robin
(for bird info click here)


Day 20 - Pine Grosbeak
(for bird info click here)


Day 21 - Bluethroat (it is one word - I spelled it wrong on the page)
(for bird info click here)


My bird experience for the weekend - we were finishing up the first day of the Lighthouse Challenge (pictures to follow in a separate post).  I had found a penny on the sidewalk at one of our early stops in the day.  Heads up supposed to be good luck right?  I picked it up and we went about our day.  Fast forward to pulling in for the evening at the condo.  We noticed a plethora of birds lining the utility lines across the street.  I hesitated going up the stairs to get in while I fumbled for my phone to take a picture...........but........ before I could get it out, something spooked them and the took off in a murmuration..........overhead..........and plop.........I was the new owner of some bird poop on my hand that I had on the railing.  Being pooped on by a bird is also supposed to be good luck right?  So I wondered whether the luck of the penny had kept me from getting bombarded with poop, or whether the poop cancelled out the penny luck?  Or do I have double luck coming?  All I can tell you is I checked our lottery tickets for the weekend and we didn't win.  (And thankfully, the poop was only on the back of my hand!)

2 comments:

  1. Good job on the birds! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Turaco was instantly recognisable to me -okay, I know you'd said it was on the list, but even though it's not the same as the ones I have seen, still unmistakably. The pink robin looks so cute.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.