Wednesday, April 6, 2022

When Blogs Go Away (Not This One)

When I pull up my Blogger Reading List (visible to the blog owner only) I have it sorted to All Blogs which will show me a list of the most current posts from the blogs that I follow.  I can also go through the list of blogs that I've signed up to follow but it makes me sad because a lot of them are no longer posting and some haven't for quite a long time now.  Some have signed off in a post either saying they are moving their blog to another provider or they've decided to stop blogging altogether.  The ones that I am saddest about are those that just abruptly stop with no explanation at all.  It makes me wonder about the poster and whether they are okay.  

I think I've touched on this before but it came into focus again today with a post from another loved blog that they were no longer going to update (The Owl Barn).  I will keep them in my list because there might be some things that I might want to look back on as long as they haven't completely shut down. Recently I found the ingredients to a project that I had started quite a few years ago and couldn't find the instructions.  I had a picture saved on Pinterest but I was distressed to find out that the blog stopped being readable a few years ago so I had to do some more investigating on other sites to be able to continue the project.  


See the date - 2011 was when this was originally posted to a blog that had all kinds of paper projects on it.  I may have saved the directions but I couldn't find anything in all the files that I had transferred with my new laptop so, being that I had all the pieces cut out and a small portion of the stars already completed I had to try to find something that gave similar results.  Luckily there are a lot of origami sites out there now.


Each star took 5 squares of paper.  Once folded into the appropriate shape, they were glued together to form the star.  There were 5 different patterned papers used to make 6 stars of each.....only 150 segments to fold.  I think I put this aside after finishing the first 5 stars because the glue I was using at the time wasn't as quick drying as I would have liked.  I found that what worked great was Tombow Mono Multi Liquid Glue.  I put the glue on each piece, stuck them together, and then added a paperclip to keep them together to dry.  It only took a few minutes before the glue dried and the paperclips could be removed.  And now that I have the stars done, I'll have to find the ribbon that I'm sure I bought to go with this so I can put the wreath together.  

 

The original post of this project on the original blog listed it as a Christmas wreath but I think these colors would be fine for Spring too.  

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I thought Spring as soon as I saw the colours you had. And I agree, I find it sad clicking on links and often finding that the blog has gone all together and isn't even there as an archive. And one does hope that the person is doing well and just moved on to a different phase in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often wonder what has become of bloggers that disappear too. You wonder if they're okay, if they've just decided to stop blogging, or what has happened. Many people move to other platforms and don't think to update their previous place of 'residence' and don't stop and think about the people they've left behind.
    Glad you were able to find the directions so you could finish your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you were able to continue by finding the information.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.