Thursday, April 30, 2020

Nature's Birds and More

We've had one good day on each of the last two weekends and we got out in the car.  Our destination was a garden center as they are allowed to be open during this quarantine.  The first day we went we didn't stop at the center because it looked too crowded and at that time they hadn't required masks.  The second time we did stop with our masks and we were able to pick up some shrubs that we needed to replace in the yard.

Both times, on the way back home, we came back along the river.  And I had my camera with me just in case.  The first day I caught a glimpse of some kayakers on the river and HWNSNBP was okay with stopping so I could try to get some pictures of them.  They were very colorful.


But when I first got out of the car I hadn't seen all the herons that were down the embankment by the river.  There must have been 10 to 12 of them and most of them took off to other places along the river away from me.    And then I looked up.


And across to the other side. 


Another passerby.


Closer yet.


The second weekend we stopped around the same spot and got another treat.  This one reminds me of a choir director - all together now.



And this one in front of that tree with all the tree fungus growing on it.


Caught another one flying off.



We chased a sunset one night.  HWNSNBP came in the house from his workshop in the garage and said "you might want to take a look at the sky".  It's a hit and miss when he says that, but that night it was a hit and I coaxed him into driving the car in the direction the sun was setting.  

The first one from the left turn out of our driveway onto the road.  


 And out on the highway which had fewer cards at a few minutes to 8 than I've seen on the road after midnight on New Year's Eve.  Weird.


Some deer in the backyard.  Invasive creatures for us but I thought they looked pretty in this scene.


Mr. Blue at the suet cake.  


Mrs. Blue getting her turn.  We're waiting for the eggs to hatch any minute now.  


A little succulent nursery dish.  


An unusual visitor today - a rose-breasted grosbeak.  I've only ever seen one once before.  It took me a while to realize that this wasn't just one of the black, white, and red woodpeckers.  I ran for my camera in the other room and though he was still on the branch, he wouldn't turn around for me to get a picture of his beautiful rose breast before flying off.  I read on a local FB page this afternoon that a lot of other town residents were reporting seeing these birds at their feeders today too.  Could be they were making a stopover in Branchburg migrating home.




3 comments:

  1. Wow . . . great pictures! I love the "choir director"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, we saw a kayak on the canal the other day. I was thinking what a safe, calm place it would be.I've never seen so many herons at one time before, that must have been amazing. I've never seen them drying their wings before. Lucky you! Great blurred background in Mr Blue , the colours in it set him off so well.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.