Sunday, April 12, 2020

Happy Easter


I have this wonderful friend in Ireland - Sabrina - who gifted me the perfect die to use on my last minute Easter cards.  The spring flowers in the grass under a budding spring tree was a great place to hide some Easter eggs and bunnies.



I spent a good deal of time this week preparing and sewing masks for the family.  I went through my fabric stash and found some fabrics that were 100% cotton.  Some of them had this info on the selvage.  Others I put to the fire test - outside of course - to check whether they were cotton.  I also found a flannel topsheet that we hadn't used that was perfect for the mask lining.   



The pattern I chose to use has an opening to add a filter if needed and there is an extra fabric channel to insert a wire to be able to pinch the nose.  These don't use elastic as I didn't have any.  Instead they have "channels" on either side to feed a shoelace or cording through to tie around the back of the neck.  (I even put HWNSNBP to work lining up the fabric for me.)


Stopped to take a walk and picked some wildflowers before starting to sew.










The pattern (click here) came in 3 sizes (man, woman/teenager, child older than 3).  I made 3 for each family member except the baby - he's only 11 months old and masks aren't recommended for that age, and really, I don't think they're planning on taking him anywhere that he would need a mask.  

This is him on one of their many walks this week.  He throws his hands up in the air like he's on a roller coaster and loves the wind in his face.  He is known by the whole neighborhood now.  We're sad we'll be missing his first Easter.  We mailed their masks and they were supposed to have them by Saturday, but as of 4:00 p.m. they had not arrived with their regular mail.  We were able to do a porch drop off to my son and his family (along with a kielbasy for their Easter breakfast).


Just a note to anyone out there making masks - DO NOT PUT THEM IN THE MICROWAVE TO DISINFECT.  I've read that there have been fires started this way, especially if they have a metal nose piece in them.  

It will be a peaceful Easter Sunday and a memorable one being on our own.  I hope you all find the joy in the day.  Blessings and be well.

3 comments:

  1. Have a peaceful Easter Lorraine, the masks look so good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look again on the PC tomorrow. Tonight on my phone I only see three photos :-(. Enough to see how amazing you made that crocus die look, and to see the joy in life that your grandson shows. I've been wondering if I should start making a couple of masks myself. Such strange times we are in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know what happened. Half of the pictures are missing. I'll try putting them back in and see if that works. Thanks for letting me know.

      Delete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.