Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Scribble Picnic - Explore

The Scribble Picnic Summer Hiatus is now officially over and we are once again picnicking.  Our host Michael and his lovely wife Alexandra are picnicking in new surroundings having moved from Colorado to Kentucky this summer.  We're taking our cue from their new "explorations" to share a little exploring of our own this time.  

One place that HWNSNBP and I like to explore is Barnegat Light, NJ where you can find Old Barney standing steadfast marking the inlet there.  There is a rock jetty along the inlet that extends about a mile to get to the Atlantic Ocean.  Part of the jetty has a cement walkway on top of the rocks with guardrails.  At the end of the walkway, the nimble ones (of which I am not so much anymore) are able to slip through the guardrail and either continue on the rocks to the ocean or climb down off of them to the sand and continue the walk there.  Water often collects along the inside of these rocks during high tide causing tide pools strewn with smaller rocks.  You can often find birds foraging in these waters.  This area of the island is a protected area for migrating birds that come here to nest.  We've seen many types of birds there.  Here is a link with more info on it:  Barnegat Light.


We like to bring our bikes to Barnegat Light early Saturday or Sunday mornings for a quick ride around the area.  The scenery is great, it's flat, and we have a 5-mile circuit we like to take.  Most times at the end, we'll pick up pork roll, egg, and cheese sandwiches (or split one) sitting at the picnic tables along the other side of the lighthouse.  (I know if you're not from New Jersey you won't know what pork roll is, but trust me, it's very good.)  We do some people-watching as well as boat watching there.  We haven't fished there ourselves in a while - maybe this fall.

I also did some exploring with new art supplies.  I splurged on a set of Arteza brush pens and I've been playing around with them a little.  (Purple mountain majesties anyone? Amber waves of grain?)


What I really have to "explore" is this mess on the dining room table.  I know there are creative people out there who are very neat.  I am not one of them.  I won't apologize for it.  I am comfortable in my own chaos.  I don't ask others to be.  But honestly, it doesn't always look like this.  I'm still trying to get back into a creative schedule now that school has started again.  "I'm doing the best I can."  My new mantra for the year. (Take it anyway you like.)


So, off to Dotty Hill to join all the picnickers and see what they've got to EXPLORE.  You can check it out too by clicking here.

11 comments:

  1. Welcome to SP Lorraine, lots of exploring in this post! Your lighthouse piece is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. Hope you enjoyed exploring.

      Delete
  2. I love that your exploring new mediums!! The lighthouse story is very nice, sounds like so much fun and I love your artwork! My mantra lately is the same as yours! Also, that I trust everything will always work out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love exploring new mediums. I think I need to explore more with those pens and different papers now.

      Delete
  3. I love the lighthouse . . . and also the mess. I was just thinking about creative messiness last night. I've been told I do my best creating when I am in a chaotic mess. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at the point where if the floors are clean, things are dusted, and the sink is empty, I'm okay with the rest. (Except for the bathrooms - that's another story.)

      Delete
  4. Being comfortable in your own chaos is key, I think! ha. I'm certainly not too clean but Alex is which I love, actually.

    Speaking of which, love your NJ drawing here. Alex wants to go there one day. This will only encourage her more to do so.

    Never heard of those brushes, btw. How fun!

    Great entry and beautifully done too, Lorraine! So glad you got around to this. BRavo. Great to have you back too. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely painting of the lightgouse...and thank you for the link for more info. I like the white caps on your purple mountains... Why does making just one card create such a mess? Sometimes it feels as if tidying is just waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lorraine,

    I want to get going on the Scribble Picnic hop to give myself a weekly challenge. I discovered about two years that I had an ounce of art ability breathing inside. I thought for sure the ole fountain was dried up, not that I was a wealth of talent in my high school year but I sure did like to doodle. Anywho, I like your lighthouse sketch with its reflection in the water and the rocks. It makes wanna visit Maine again. Lucky for us our youngest daughter & SIL now live in the Pine Tree State. ;) I know what lobster rolls are so I'm assuming a pork roll is similar. Am I right? Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lighthouses! Funnily enough, I don't think I've ever painted one — must remedy that. Lovely lighthouse, Lorraine, and I like your other exploration piece too. It's always fun to explore new art supplies. I tend to keep my space neat and tidy UNTIL I actually get down to painting — then it's chaos for sure — but I know where everything is and it works for me so I totally get what you're saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lorraine - better late than never hopefully! Have been away EXPLORING again - US and Canada this summer. Have seen several lighthouses - l love them - and many other fabulous places.

    Love your piece - must be fun cycling there.

    Hugs - Mary

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.