Monday, June 13, 2011

For Vanessa

The 10-yr.-old granddaughter of a co-worker was recently hospitalized very unexpectedly and needed surgery to remove a cyst near her ovary and appendix.  Poor thing was in a lot of pain and this was scary for her and her entire family.  Thankfully the results were good and the biopsy proved to be negative so now she's taking it easy and recovering nicely. 

I wanted to send a card to her and her little sister so I asked grandma what their favorite colors were and if they had any other favorites.  She told me that Vanessa means butterfly and she happens to love butterflies and the colors pink and purple.  Her little sister Sabrina shares a middle name with her grandmother - Rose - and she loves roses. 

I decided to make them both interactive cards given their ages and I have finished Vanessa's card.  Hers is a Neverending card and it features the Strength and Hope stamp set.  The Melon Mambo butterfly is the focal point that you see repeated four times in exactly the same place when you do the folds.





The colors used were Melon Mambo, Regal Rose, and Pretty in Pink with some Pear Pizzaz for the leaves.  The little flowers are from another set which I'll have to check on the name of - e-mail me if you need that information and I'll be glad to look it up. 

The pattern for this card can be found by Googling Neverending Card.  There are lots of sites with directions as well as videos.  It's really not that hard.

I'm planning on doing a waterfall card with roses for Sabrina and hope to get to that in the next day or so.  This week is going to be a particularly busy one at school and I'm not looking forward to it.

On another note, I just wanted to share a picture that I took last Friday.  As I came up the driveway I saw this red flower and couldn't imagine what it was. It looked like it was coming right out of the wall in the mess next to the shed where he's been potting up the plants. 


Upon closer inspection I could see that HWNSNBP had left some amaryllis bulbs out and this particular one had decided to bloom - no dirt, no pot!


Some things are so resilient. 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful card and I am so glad she is okay! and that flower...amazing! Hope you are enjoying the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that Vanessa meant butterfly! A great idea to use with the neverending card, the butterfly works so well. It always takes me forever to come up with a design that will work through all the moves, so I don't make them very often.
    I was sure it looked like an amaryllis from the first photo. I'm amazed - I thought they required more pampering than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and lovely card design, but even more amazing is the blub that refused to quit!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.