Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Birdtober 2024 - Days 1-14

Last year was the first time that I took part in Birdtober and I really enjoyed it.  I used a 4x4" sketchbook and felt that it was a bit restrictive so I opted for a larger book this time - an 8x8".  It is made for watercolors, but almost immediately I felt that the paper was a bit too toothy for my liking.  That could be because I use watercolor pencils which I first apply dry and then go over with an aquapen to activate and blend them so I may need a little more practice getting that saturation point correct.  

There were actually two prompt lists to choose from this time - a North American list and an International list.  I chose the North American list.  


Day 1 - Blue Jay


Day 2 - American Robin


Day 3 - Eastern Bluebird


Day 4 - Belted Kingfisher


Day 5 - Northern Mockingbird


Day 6 - Red-Winged Blackbird


Day 7 - Northern Cardinal


Day 8 - Great Blue Heron


I didn't think there was enough contrast, so this happened and I'm still not sure if I like it.


Day 9 - Ruby-Crowned Kinglet


Day 10 - Black-Crested Titmouse


Day 11 - Barn Swallow


Day 12 - House Finch


Day 13 - Carolina Wren


Day 14 - American Crow


I am using a combination of Generals and Derwent Inktense watercolor pencils.  The backgrounds on the bluejay, robin, and heron are regular watercolors.  And I was able to use my own photos as reference for the bluebird, cardinal, heron, and kinglet.  

There's a feature on iphones that I may have mentioned before that lets you identify things like plants/flowers, animals, and I think it will even identify works of art.  I am always looking to see if what I've drawn will be correctly identified and it's a small victory when it does.  I've even been know to have a celebratory fist pump when that happens.

1 comment:

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.