Friday, November 3, 2023

Birdtober - Day 22 to the End

Happy to say that these are all done and I do think that I'll be doing it again next year except I may use colored pencils and a larger format, but time will tell.

Day 22 - Bohemian Waxing
(for bird info click here)


Day 23 - Black Headed Gull
(for bird info click here)


Day 24 - Ornate Hawk Eagle
(for bird info click here)


Day 25 - Mandarin Duck
(for bird info click here)
Special thanks to Sabrina at My Miscellany for the inspiring photo on this post from her blog.


Day 26 - Emu
(for bird info click here)


Day 27 - Blue Penguin (Little Penguin)
(for bird info click here)


Day 28 - Galah
(for bird info click here)


Day 29 - Artist's Choice
I chose the Southern Red Bishop because it looks like it's dressed up for Halloween.
(for bird info click here)


Day 30 - Allen's Hummingbird
(for bird info click here)


Day 31 - Spotted Owl
(for bird info click here)


Of all these last 10 I think it's most likely that I've seen a black-headed gull IRL.  I believe that the galah is a parrot a little larger than a cockatiel and hails from Australia also.  They, like the cockatiels can become nuisance birds when they flock together.  If I were younger, I might want one, but we're too advanced in age to care for a parrot now only because the parrot is likely to outlive us.  I've heard that if you buy a parrot now, some breeders make you provide information on who will take care of the parrot when you're no longer here.  When my sister passed away, we rehomed 3 cockatiels fairly quickly, but it took a little longer to find a home for her African grey (which I would have kept, but we had a few cockatiels of our own at the time and no room for a bigger parrot).

We've (I've) been hearing an owl nearby at night both when I'm going to sleep and early in the morning.  It's not a spotted owl.  I believe it's an eastern screech owl.  I tried to use my Merlin app on my phone to identify it by sound but it wasn't picking up inside the house and I didn't feel like going outside, so I did some googling to listen to owl sounds of New Jersey and narrowed it down that way.

The moderator of this challenge Andrea Holmes has offered a sticker and postcard to anyone who completed the whole challenge so I did add my info.  She said it may take a while to get them all out because of all the participation.  But I don't mind one way or the other.  She also is asking for ideas for birds for next year and I'll have to give that some thought.  I don't know what's been done in the past so I may investigate that a little first.  But there sure are enough to choose from! 

3 comments:

  1. You did so well with this series!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the black-headed gulls. Quite common here, and more dainty than the herring gulls, which are what we have most of . I had to look the blue penguin up - I thought I knew all the penguins there were! And then as soon as I saw Australia , I realised it was what used to be known as the fairy penguin. We had waxwings here about ten years ago in an exceptionally cold winter and it was a delight to see them. I always admire your dedication and perseverance in completing an ongoing challenge like this. So rewarding to end up with a set of beautiful birds. I still occasionally check the lake in the park where the mandarins used to be, but haven't seen them there for several years now :-(.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing. I like Mr. Emu because he's somewhat comical.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.