Thursday, October 13, 2022

Dollar Store Project and October Anniversary

I saw a video showing how to make a quick fall wreath from some basic dollar store supplies and made a note to look for the ingredients on my next trip to the Dollar Tree.  Unfortunately I forgot to bookmark the source but I thought I could still give it a try from memory.  The ingredients include 8 three-yard spools of wired ribbon (2 of each pictured were used), a wire wreath form, zip ties, and an optional wooden sign.



I began by layering 4 of the ribbons on top of each other and attached them to the second ring from the center with a zip tie.  Then I made loops with the ribbon, approximately 7 inches, and continued attaching with zip ties until I used up all the ribbon.  I initially left the zip ties a little loose to begin with on the front of the wreath form.  That gave me a little play with the loops if they looked uneven.



I twisted the ends of the zip ties around the back of the wreath form and tightened them before I snipped off the excess.


The next step involves pulling the layers of ribbon apart.  I did this alternating the order that I pulled on the loop so you'll see that all the same ribbons do not wind up next to each other.


The wooden sign was also purchased at Dollar Tree. I attached it to the back of the wreath form by wrapping some additional ribbon through the outer ring on the top and bottom over the sign on the back and then hot glued the ribbon onto the sign.  I left the original hanger on the sign so that I could use it to hang the wreath up.  I have a Command hook upside down on the top of the inside window pane that allows me to loop ribbon over the top of the door to hang things.  You can see the bow through the window.


The sentiment "Give Thanks" is just barely visible on this but I think it still looks okay when I move the loop away from the "s".  

 
Because I was able to use dollar store materials for this it was relatively inexpensive to make - less than $15.  Using this method you could use a variety of wreath forms with any particular seasonal ribbon.

These fall colors I used on the wreath also inspired me to use them on my son and daughter-in-law's anniversary card.


After I colored the background panel, I added the sentiment in a double layer of Bermuda Bay which I also used for the card backing.  I still have a significant stash of Bermuda Bay leftover from their wedding invitations I made 10 years ago.  


I really had fun coloring this image so you might be seeing it again soon.

5 comments:

  1. Oh wow, I love the wreath! Beautiful Fall colours! You could easily make these for any Season, as well as all kinds of celebrations! And the card is just as gorjuss - well done!
    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That wreath is perfect and even better that it's a dollar store project. Easy to change out if you want too as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely project and happy anniversary to the couple!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful wreath! Clever idea that could be used for all occasions! Would love to see a Christmas one! Love the card too and the colors are gorjus! You've done a great job Lorraine!
    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful wreath. They're definitely becoming far more popular here as door decor. I've never seen a wire form like that, though. Lovely anniversary card, too.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.