Monday, September 27, 2021

Strange Bedfellows

I saw this bumble bee recently fast asleep in a dahlia bloom.  He was very content and not bothering anyone.


This yellow jacket on the other hand, found it's way into our bedroom and under our covers and it wasn't very content as I found out when it stung me.  I didn't know what exactly what was going on when I first felt the pain on my leg but as it got worse I realized that something was biting me and threw off the covers.  HWNSNBP had been asleep for some time as he goes to bed long before I do and when I turned on the light he asked groggily what I was doing.  When I explained that I had been bit by something he told me to just get back in bed.  I briefly saw the culprit on our navy sheet but when I went to grab a tissue it disappeared.   But I could hear the angry buzzing somewhere near.  My leg was throbbing by this time and I will admit there were tears.  I told him that I was not getting back in that bed and we both went downstairs to sleep on the couch and love seat which I'm glad we chose to do as I found another dead one on the floor in the other bedroom the next day.   When we woke up the next morning he went upstairs and as I thought might be the case, the yellow jacket had been attracted to the light and was on the window where HWNSNBP was able to get it.  Of course we're wondering where it (they) came from.  He had come across a nest in an outlet on the front porch which is below our bedroom a couple of days prior and had sprayed it to get rid of the buzzers.  Did they come up through the wall or someplace else?  Hopefully we've seen the last of them but I am still getting into bed with trepidation.  I thought spiders were all I had to worry about.


7 comments:

  1. Ow, I feel your pain, figuratively and literally! We have had bees eat right through our bedroom ceiling, and when I reached up to see what it was (before I realized it was BEES--yellowjackets, actually), my hand broke right through the paper-thin layer of what was remaining of my ceiling and there were buzzers everywhere...at 2am!
    We had them come into my kitchen while I had six members of my stamp club stamping....that was a very bad day. They came in through an eave and were searching for an escape route by any light source..window, patio door....they could find. What a mess. I also got stung in my bed...on my forehead. My face looked like a pumpkin the next day. Hope you find the source and get rid of them. Our exterminator knows us on a first-name basis! I love living in the country but when they come inside, it's war!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Lorraine, are you ok? Thar must have been a bit scary in the middle of the night, being stung y something. Hopefully no more yellow jackets come into your house. Hope your leg heals well:-) Take care, and many thanks for all the wonderful comments you leave on my blog!
    Many thanks,

    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lorraine, are you ok? Thar must have been a bit scary in the middle of the night, being stung y something. Hopefully no more yellow jackets come into your house. Hope your leg heals well:-) Take care, and many thanks for all the wonderful comments you leave on my blog!
    Many thanks,

    Sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, ouch, ouch. You have my sympathy, and I hope you are doing reassured that it was a one-off and can get into bed without worry. I certainly don't blame you for refusing to go back that night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no Lorraine, so sorry about the bite! You have to figure out where they are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an experience. I hope that is the end of the bees.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh goodness - I can only imagine the shock you must have felt once that pain hit! You don't expect to get attacked when you're in bed. I really can't figure out what use wasps have but I'm sure there must be something.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.