Sunday, September 19, 2021

Squareathon Weeks 1 and 2

I've been taking part in Melissa Doty's Instagram Squarethon this month which began on September 1st.  It's a 21 day challenge to use a square format and the optional prompts.  There are three prompts for each day and she has asked us to pick at least two to use each day.

I found a couple of 3 1/2 inch spiral bound mini scrapbooks in my stash.  They contain paper that is a little heavier than sketch paper yet not as absorbent as watercolor paper.  With a little effort I combined the pages from two of the books together into one so as to have enough pages for all 21 days with a few to spare for possible "do overs".  

I set up the first page as a contents page along with check boxes for completing the day and posting the completed work on Instagram.



Day 1 - warm colors/painterly/rainbow


Day 2 - mustard yellow/polka dot/bird


Day 3 - lilac/stormy/mountain


Day 4 - fave color/patterned/tea cup


Day 5 - monochromatic/elegant/word art


Day 6 - cobalt blue/leafy/moth


Day 7 - neutral colors/abstract/quilt


Day 8 - cerulean/architectural/moon


Day 9 - blush pink/tropical/vase


Day 10 - ruby red/loose/doodle


Day 11 - orange/rustic/houseplant


Day 12 - magenta/summery/portrait


Day 13 - olive green/vintage/feather


Day 14 - pale colors/modern/sky


Once again my art is all over the place with techniques and materials.  I have no set plan ahead of time and tend to grab what I have at hand.  Two of these pieces are created from paper.  The blush pink vase is full of collaged flowers and the orange and olive green feathers were cut from pieces of tea bag envelopes that I had saved that I came across while looking for something else.  I've used watercolor pencils, watercolor gouache, paint pens, and markers so far.  Like I said previously - no set plan.

One more week's worth will be coming up soon.  Then I have a week to decide if I'm going to participate in Inktober again this year or spend more time addressing some other craft projects that I've been meaning to get to.  We shall see.

3 comments:

  1. Looks like such a fun challenge and I'm looking forward to seeing yours evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bird one - it made me think of Mothermark/Cindy. And the cerulean moon architecture one, that's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.