Wednesday, August 10, 2016

When the Sun Comes Out

One cloudy morning last week I was preparing my breakfast and looked out the window to see that the sun was coming out, filtering through the clouds and through the trees to illuminate the heart on this tree trunk.  Of all the things to light up!


Then driving to work Monday morning after I just pulled out of the driveway my eyes were drawn skyward to catch another phenomenon which I couldn't get a picture of until I turned off the street a little further on. I scrambled to get a picture as it was fading away.  It had been much larger and much more intense.  Another sun dog!


I don't have a picture of what happened today because it was so brief.  There is a beautiful pink dogwood right outside our office and HWNSNBP has hung a couple of bird feeders and suet feeder in the tree there so we can enjoy the birds.  We had a small rain storm and shortly after it stopped raining I was having a conversation with my office mate whose desk is on the window side of the room.  Suddenly there was a hummingbird at the window.  It hovered there just long enough for me to get her to turn around to see it before it flew off.  We wondered if it was checking out the vase of artificial flowers that she had on her window ledge.  In any case, we looked upon it as a good sign.

2 comments:

  1. Definitely a good sign! Love that heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I hope your hummingbird visits again. Like cardinals, they are one of the birds I dream of seeing in real life some time. And double luck to see another sun dog. Mind you, I think when we had them they lasted about three days - obviously whatever helps them form (high altitude strong winds, I vaguely remember) is much less transitory than your little hummer.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.