Wednesday, May 2, 2012

JB12:09a & b - Peace on Earth(Day)

As you know, April 22 was Earth Day and keeping with tradition (it is tradition if you do it more than once, right?) we were asked "to create a holiday card which re-uses, re-purposes, re-cycles, up-cycles, or in some way "rescues" a bit of... well, SOMETHING... which you'd've either thrown away, or perhaps just overlooked in terms of card-making?"  Read all about it here.

Let me think - do I have anything that I could re-use, re-purpose, or recycle?  Are you kidding me!!!!   There is a multitude of "stuff" hanging around here that I would love to put to good use.   How about some saved Christmas packaging.  There was a plaid box, a piece of red foil box, and a vibrant green piece of cardboard backing from some presents.  A dive into the ribbon scrap basket found the knotted ribbon already knotted and ready to go.



Over the last couple of weeks I have had several conversations related to this very subject.  It has taken me 8 years to realize that I will never use up all that I have accumulated for my crafting.  The 8 years being the time I have been working full time.   Every once and a while I will purge a little of it - mostly stuff that is easily replaceable - but it gets to the point of being overwhelming.  No, I am not living like someone you might see on the "hoarders" programs, although HWNSNBP and the kids might argue that point when they open up the closet door in the bathroom upstairs and find practically one whole shelf full of empty toilet paper rolls which I tell them are going to be obsolete soon according to the tv commercials, but it could easily get that way.  We do recycle as much as we can, but there are a lot of recyclables that can have another more artistic life.  The problem doesn't seem to be materials - it's time.  If only I could recycle those lost times of the day into productive times. 

When my sister passed away ten years ago, we had to go through her things and let me tell you, there was quite a lot to go through.  She was single and had 8 cats and many birds also.  And when it came to shopping, she never passed up what she thought was a good bargain.  However, there weren't enough hours in the day to possibly use all that she had accumulated.   She had a barrel, yes a barrel full of needlepoint kits.  They went to a recreation program.  She had scads of fabric and yarn, and paints, and beads, and well, practically a craft store of her own.  It was too much to assimilate into my stash so I had to be picky and choosy, but sadly, some of that stuff is still sitting, unused, 10 years later. 

I need to not be like that.  I'm not planning to leave this world soon, but when I do I don't want to leave a craft mess for someone to have to deal with.  That being said, maybe it's time for a bit more purging.  But in the interim, I am glad to have challenges like this where I can put some of the stuff to use.

This card below I like a lot better than the first one, if only for the colors.  The "snow" is a piece of that foamy wrapping stuff that I just tore a piece from and the solid trees are a bit of the leftover from the same package I used on the tree above.  Those printed trees are the inside of my dental benefits envelopes.  The swirls in the sky were made with VersaMark ink using a stamp from the $1.50 bin at Mike's and I couldn't find the longer punch so I just stamped PEACE on the turquoise punch. 



So let me ask you, what do you save to repurpose?

6 comments:

  1. well, i'd like to think celebrating earthday this way WILL be a tradition... certainly it will for as long as *I* am jingling in this vicinity!!! :)

    as to what do i save... trust me... the comments will MAX OUT if i answer that, lol. mostly it's just vintage paper... but then, i've had enough of that to have been supplying my etsy shop AND a retail store for the last 6 months without adversely "feeling" it!

    ok, so now... and i should have done this FIRST: let me just say that dental benefits envelopes, holiday giftboxes, and fluffy white packing stuff have NEVER EVER looked as beautiful or as elegant as they do right here, missus! ♥MAGNIFICENT♥!!! (times two!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lorraine! I love both of your cards. I appreciate your reflections in this post...I saved some crafty things from the previous owner of this house, mostly sewing suplies. I don't sew. I have used some of the needles (mostly for digging out splinters!), but other than that most things still take up space in one of my crafty cabinets. Maybe a purge to Goodwill is in order? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the trees made out of envelopes. I just folded two cranes today made out of the inside of some business envelopes. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that die cut tree ... and those little trees from the dental benefits envelope are marvelous. I tend to save vintage things like books and sheet music, but you've got me thinking about looking at the inside of all of my envelopes now :) So glad you joined us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These recycled pieces found AMAZING new life Lorraine!!!!!! Just gorgeous (and how wonderful the bow for the first card was just waiting for you :) I too have been continuing our conversation in my head - and haven't reached any type of resolution yet. I'll let you know if I do ;) In the meantime maybe it is task enough to commit to trying to use stuff from the stash every week to create something. I'm going to try (and I know the stash will keep growing as I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It hardly needs a specific challenge for you to re-use and re-purpose. The red foil is gorgeous and makes for a very festive card, but I like the blue and the trees in the second one. I know I have some of that foam stuff saved for using, but on the whole I know that I'm not likely to ever use half the things I think I could, so I try to be realistic in the first place.
    As you were saying about going through stuff after your sister died, I finished off several of my mother's projects and vowed not to leave so many unfinished things myself. Easier said than done...

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.