Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Jingle Belles JB12:02 - Sketching Through the Snow


Yes, it's a sketch challenge this time, brought to us by the lovely Kirsty Vittetoe at Homemade Little Things.  

I must admit that I was thrown a bit, not by the sketch in general, but by what looks to me like a butterfly.  I kept trying to look past that to put Christmas in it and it really was challenging.  I guess you could say that I was trying not to interpret it too literally.  So I pondered what I would like in that focal point.  And I pondered.  And I pondered.  (Strange word "pondered" - I digress, it's late.)  Then I started scrounging around on my worktable to see what I might have going that I could use.  

I spotted a couple of die cut doilies that I had been playing around with using the new SU doily die.  It was too big for the card - drat.  

But then I saw it.  I saw how I could cut it up and make, not a butterfly with wings, but an angel.  I die cut a brand new one out of Shimmer paper and then mounted it on Glossy White cs.  The center of the die became the head which I covered with a punched circle and then a jumbo sticky pearl.  The halo is just another circle of the same size mounted in the halo position. 


I used metallic gold paper for the card base (which unfortunately is showing up mustardy in these pictures), embossing the sentiment in gold also.  The "stringy" ribbon is something I found in the holiday ribbon section at Michael's back in November or December when they were on sale.  The floral paper is again something that I picked up at Mike's just because it looked so pretty with the gold and silver metallic highlights.  


I tried to achieve some balance by adding the white punched lace border and the pearls.  Don't know if I'll get a second card made for this challenge, but at least I have one to show for it.


I peeked in the gallery and there are quite a few pretties there!  Click here to check it out.  

4 comments:

  1. The white border is the perfect touch to pull the design together ... and your doily angel is absolutely magical (wouldn't it make a gorgeous pin) ... so glad you found time to get sketchy with us at jingle belles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say I see an angel. I find that type of sketch difficutl, I'm never sure how literally to interpret shapes like that. That stringy fibre is lovely with the punched border.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well, i am sorry that you "struggled" with this one... but on the other hand it seems to have really spurred you on to think WAY outside the box, so maybe i take my sorry back??!?! :) :) :) this is ♥GORGEOUS♥ all round but that very clever and totally beautiful angel is of course the biggest highlight! WOW! you are just soooooooo creative!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful card. All of the elements and textures fit together so nicely. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.