Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Holiday Weekend Cut Short

Originally we had a four-day weekend planned to spend at the condo doing some painting and relaxing.  Well, the five snow days that we have had already put our school system over the three allotted so we had to give back two now and should we have anymore snow days, they'll be added to the end of the school year. 

Still, HWNSNBP and I managed to get an early enough start out on Friday afternoon to make it to the lighthouse for our February visit.  Friday was a gorgeous day - near 70° and it's been staying lighter longer so we took advantage knowing that the temperature was going to drop significantly for the rest of the weekend. 

There weren't a lot of birds, but this black-headed duck was intent on picking at the rock in the picture....


The beach roses are long gone, but some of the hips still have added interest to the thorny branches.


Of course a lighthouse picture - from behind.


Friday night was also a full moon night and I did my best without my tripod to catch the moon and the reflection over the bay.  You can see the moonshine on the water if you look closely.


With the evening came the winds.  The condo units are on pile-ons and sway with the gentlest of winds, but we had steady gusts of near 40 mph which made the bed feel like a waterbed.  The grasses behind the unit were thrashing about all night and throughout the day on Saturday.
  

I caught this picture as the sun was beginning to set. I just loved the way the sun was illuminating the grass.  (Click on it to make it bigger.)


You see that the snow was all gone, but that will not last long.  More is on the way.  I think we'll be using those days in June too!

3 comments:

  1. These are all so pretty.. I LOVE lighthouses. I always thought it would be fun to visit all the ones we have here in the U.S. Great moon photo.. If we have anymore snow days here in NC we have to go on Saturdays.. They won't add to the end of the year. Plus we have to go Good Friday and Memorial Day. Makes me so upset. :( Glad you got to get away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought it was a duck with an oil slick on its head. Happy to know it's not. My card supplies have been stuck in the dust for a year now...just maybe...I'll be crawling back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some lovely photos there - I really like the texture from the weed on the stone in the duck one, and I just love the grass ones. Hmm, not sure I like the idea of swaying away gently all night - I can't help feeling that it would be a bit like being on a boat, when you can't walk straight when you get off at first.
    More snow, oh no!! I do wish I could send you some of our (relative) warmth.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.