Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9 - Summer Necessities


The plants are a necessity.   And if you're going to have plants, you need potting soil.  Of course tools are necessary to plant the plant, but don't forget the gloves.  I prefer lightweight gloves that are rubberized on the palms and fingers.   It takes my fingernails a little longer to penetrate the rubber treated fingers and I feel a little more confident when pulling weeds.   Last week I think I got a little bit overconfident and was pulling poison ivy in the raspberry patch.  I don't know why I bothered because we hadn't put any bird netting up and the bluejays decimated the berries before we could pick any.  And because we let the weeding go so long the poison ivy was rather abundant and large and let's just say that my hands were spared, but my arms - not so much.  (I had put on long pants but not a long-sleeved shirt.  I know - pretty dumb.)

I'm a real mess in fact.  I fell twice last weekend getting off my bike and have a skinned knee and some pretty colorful bruises, then I caught the edge of something sharp in the supply room at work which added another large scrape and bruise, and today I was attacked by the lid of the vacuum cleaner.  Add those bruises and scrapes to the poison ivy patches and like I said - a mess. 

But hopefully all will be healed by the end of the summer!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lorraine, take care of yourself! I'm so glad we don't have poison ivy here; my nephew was on antibiotics after his got infected, and it was taking so long to heal that he had to visit a doctor over here too for a repeat prescription.
    I like those flowers - we often see them in Greece (I think -they go to a black berry?). I must admit I can't get on with gardening gloves at all; I'll use them if I'm working with brambles but that's about it.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.