Friday, March 1, 2024

Happy Flying Pig Day



Just a few of the little flying pigs on my windowsill.

Thanks to an inspiration from my blogging friend Sabrina, and the coincidental finding of a container of glass microscope slides in my craft room, I decided to make these little suncatchers/ornaments for my Pig Ladies this year. 


I purchased two flying pig infested stickers from Redbubble and went about fussy cutting those little piggies out so that I could fit them onto the slides.  Now, I do have quite an assortment of flying pig stamps, but none of them were small enough for this so I was glad to find the sticker option.   I cut some background rectangles from an assortment of papers and did stamp the "Believe" onto white and cut that out.  The papers, with the stickers and message, are sandwiched between two slides with a length of ribbon for a hanger and held together with double-sided tape.  Another think that I have in my stash is a load of glitters and microbeads.  I opted for the microbeads for this application around the edges where the tape is.  I did put a seal coat of Crystal Effects over the beads to hopefully keep them from prematurely releasing from the tape.  The last thing I did to them was added a stick-on jewel where the tape didn't cover at the hanger point.  

The sticker procedure in process below.  I have to note that when I looked up the directions for these, it did mention using a sealer for the beads or glitter and mentioned clear nail polish as an alternative.  I don't recommend that. I tried it on one of them and the nail polish reacted with the tape adhesive and the beads were starting to lift off the tape.  There is also the odor of the nail polish involved although these won't be worn as jewelry and will not be adding much to the room, after five days I can still smell it when I sniff them.  (I know, so stop sniffing them - got it!)


I got some small boxes and did use a stamp to add a little pig to the outside.   I had intended to mail these boxes but realized too late that they were an inch to short to be mailable so I had to put in padded envelopes.


Remember - "A pig that has wings does impossible things!"

3 comments:

  1. I was so delighted to find a flying pig in my mailbox yesterday - and spotted the microscope slide link instantly. I'm thinking I just burnished glitter onto double-sided tape, but I don't think that would work for the microbeads. I didn't smell anything when I opened it! Thank you so much. Hoping you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such cute wee flying pigs and so clever of you to think to use the slides.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.