Wednesday, August 9, 2023

ICAD Weeks 7, 8, & 9 to the End

 Yay!  Another year in the books.  I had some help towards the end you will see, and I did work ahead a little and actually finished up a few days earlier so I could have the time for the wedding prep.  Sorry that this is going to be long with 2+ weeks worth.  But here we go.......

Day 43 - Patina
I drew the pattern first in gold metallic marker and added the "patina" with my peacock blue fountain pen ink.  It's a stretch I know.


Day 44 - Wabi Sabi
I admit I have to look this word up each time I come across it.  Essentially it means finding beauty in the imperfect and I thought that this charred pine cone had that feel.  Done in watercolor pencil.


Day 45 - Repeat
The background pattern done in metallic dot markers is repeated and is the base to this one staple collage.  I also doodled the metallic flower and fussy cut around it for this.


Day 46 - Millefleur
The background on this was done previous to the beginning of this challenge and was in my stash.  I thought that it represented the millefleur theme.  I chose to add the punched circle and the pre-printed butterfly that I doctored up a bit with colored pencils to match the colors in the background.


Day 47 - Vermillion
I doodled those vermillion flowers that became water lillies in the pond for this turtle cut from a brochure.  The rest of the background was done in watercolor pencil with some actual watercolor paint added.


48 - Raindrops
It was Sunday morning on the weekend and we got up early to try to beat the forecasted heavy rains home.  We did manage to stay in front of the worst of it and I had the luxury of watching the rain on the windshield as HWNSNBP drove.  Watercolor pencils and Optimus marker.


Day 49 - Focus
I had two die cuts in a scrap pile that I thought would make a good aperture for the word focus and decided to overlap them and traced them onto the card.  After I colored them black I added some white gel pen to show how they could be layered.  I toyed with the idea of adding color in those shapes but felt I had already spent enough time on it this way. 


50 - Note To Self
It was a note to myself created with bits from the scrap box once again taking heed of what I had written to myself.  


Day 51 - Topiary
Once again relying on the scrap box and some washi tape for the background to complete this.  There was a 3-D element to this with the tissue paper that has become flattened in the pile now.


Day 52 - Weathervane
I wasn't going to do this prompt but strangely enough this ad from Home Depot for this witch weathervane showed up in my FB feed. Theirs is in copper and brass, mine is wrought iron because I didn't have any metallic markers with me at the time.  I decided to add the tangle Sand Swirl to the background to give the impression of wind.


I had some help with the next set of cards.  We had the grandsons with us on the weekend and I gave them blank cards and the choice of watercolor paint or markers to use so I could have some backgrounds ready.  They both chose the watercolors and were really into it.



Day 53 - Museum
We were putting together a 3D puzzle that my mother, their great-grandmother had given us for them.  There were two to choose from - a castle and a pirate ship.  I thought for certain they would choose the pirate ship first, but it was the castle.  There were parts of the puzzle that had to be punched out, like windows and doors, and all the little places where the tabs would be inserted so it would stand up.  I saved some of those pieces and used them on this card adding only the gel pen bricks around the openings and part of our conversation.  It could be the outside of some museum somewhere.


Day 54 - Yahtzee - Off Prompt - We didn't play Yahtzee, we played in the pool.



Day 55 - Lemon or Lime - Off Prompt
As I was cleaning up, I took some drops of the watercolors and put them on the plastic table covering and GS1 took a card and swiped them up.  He hasn't seen what I've found in those swipes yet, but you never know what you'll find in those random shapes.


Day 56 - Winter
I picked up a set of magnatiles during Prime Day to have for them to play with because I know they both love them at home.  This castle was one of the possibilities according to the directions.  Ours did not get so elaborate.  But the card holds another conversation.



Day 57 - Bird
After they were done with painting and had left the table there was one card left so I used up some of the paint.  I purposely didn't do anything while they were working because I wanted to see what they would come up with and not feel that they had to copy me.


Day 58 - Illustration
I had been saving a photo of a lace bug which is transparent, yet colorful at the same time.  The colors on this card seemed to compliment the iridescent colors of the scales.  Not every piece is colored because they all didn't have the same iridescence which I tried to capture.


Day 59 - Peaceful
I did not need to add anything to GS1's sunset to make it any more peaceful than it already is.  He told me he was going to paint a sunset and he explained every step of creating this to me.  First he was using light orange, and then he added some dark orange. Then a little red, and purple in the end.  I told him it was stunning.


Day 60 - Filigree
I used the tangle Oile to string these hearts across GS2's card, adding a little subtle shading where the lines overlap.  


Day 61 - Mosaic
I took two butterfly stickers and sliced them up before I added them to the index card leaving a grout gap between the pieces. Then drew in the other pieces of faux tile, outlined them with marker and added some watercolor pencil to each one.  


So here's the stack of all 61 cards.


And those for the month of June.


Finishing up with the month of July.










3 comments:

  1. Lovely work Lorraine and good helpers! -Christine cmlk79.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an amazing Grandma! The cards the boys created are wonderful. Our grandies love magnatiles and our 3 year old creates the most incredibly complex builds...far more so than what his 7 year old brother does. This Grandma is looking foward to flying out to play with them next month. I just know magnatiles will be in my future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I do read to find out the "how" on each one. I appreciate you sharing that.
    Love how you managed to get ideas and pieces from the children. Great future memories when you stroll through this deck of cards later.
    48- great poem and interpretation of your windshield.
    52- amazes me where you get inspired. The silhouette gave me an idea for a yard flag.
    55- love that activity. Great for anyone to try and everyone successful.
    60- wanting to learn tangle Oile. Could it be done with ribbons?

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.