Friday, December 17, 2021

Last of the Christmas Cards and the Round Up

I fell a few cards short in what we needed for this Christmas.  When this happens, I usually try to come up with a simple plan to make multiples.  I was doing errands with HWNSNBP last week and we stopped in Michael's for ribbon and of course I took a quick browse around the store.  They already have all their Christmas merchandise at 40% off and I was pleased to find these buffalo checked package of blank cards that sparked an idea.  I used a tree die for the tree obviously, and the deer are die cut also.  In fact the oval and the sentiment piece were die cut too.  The oval is cut from that roll of wall paper that I used on the previous card (Jingle Belle header card).  I found an SU sentiment which I embossed in white on the red, and then added highlights to the tree layers.  You can't tell from the picture, but I also added a line of glitter pen to the tree layers.  It looks much better IRL.



As HWNSNBP tagged it, Wednesday was "Selection Day".  I had all 40-something cards out and started putting my sticky notes on them as to who they go to.  I really could send any of them to anyone but there are some that more appropriate for those with children or without, and for those that are more serious in theme.  And then there are the ones that would only be "understood" by certain people (like the pigmass cards).  Part of this process also includes adding the picture to the Excel spreadsheet that I had started a few years back so I can make sure that I'm not repeating a stamp/theme with the same recipients.  I have to add here that I got a new laptop this summer and this past week I finally bought myself a wireless mouse to use with it and boy, what a difference it makes in moving things around on a spreadsheet and editing photos.  Merry Christmas me!


What I didn't do that I had said I would was add the sentiments and match up the cards with the envelopes as they were completed over the course of the year.  I will make a better effort with that this coming year because it does take a bit of time and there's always the chance that I won't have the right size envelope when I need it (although I do have quite an assortment).  There were a few envelopes that I had to add a strip of double-sided tape in some larger envelopes so those that were a little bigger than the quarter size I usually do wouldn't slide around in the envelope and hopefully not get bent up.  I also cut up some light cardboard food boxes for added stability in the envelopes with the cards that had embellishments that might go through the envelope on cancellation.  (I've gotten cards in the mail in the past like that.)

I have new goodies from this year that I still haven't used yet but they will be put to use soon after this holiday season comes to a close.  Of course I will be playing along with the Jingle Belles again.  There's something good about being able to not have to rush around in November or December making all the cards you need when you can be doing it all year long.  And having their inspiration to go with when you're not in the Christmas mode is a plus.  

1 comment:

  1. Nice find, the check card bases. The little whittle deer are sweet.
    I really like the group shot of the cards, I should do that next year. I did quite well on making envelopes for any odd-sized cards as I made them - but not so well, I discovered, on adding inserts into a few dark or metallic ones.
    It's always quite fun deciding which to send to whom, don't you think! Time consuming, mind you.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.