Wednesday, June 7, 2017

ICAD 2017 - Week 1 With Warm Ups

It's here!  It's here!  ICAD is here.  Index Card A Day for 61 days created and facilitated by Daisy Yellow.  This will be my 4th year.   I did my first ICAD the year that I had my back surgery and despite the fact that I couldn't sit for longer than a couple of minutes at a time during those 61 days, I found that concentrating on something creative - even standing - took my mind off the pain and got me through some of those rough days.  The subsequent years have served a similar purpose helping me focus on something other than the end-of-the year hecticness at work and easing me into summer.

This year I decided to go with 4" x 1" index cards for a change.  Here is my cover/title card.


Warm-Up - One-staple collage.  


Warm-Up - Draw the alphabet.  (Not really drawn though - just lettered nicely.)


Week 1 Themes - Themes are optional


Week 1 Prompts - Prompts are also optional but I try to follow them.


Day 1 - Sunrise 
 Dr. Ph Martin's Bombay Inks.  Something new for me. This is what I used my gift cards on.  I was able to get 2 sets.  Here I have just used the dropper to put down the colors and then pulled a fine paint brush through the drops for the design.  The quote is from Suzy Kasem

"Heartwork"
Each day is born with a sunrise
and ends in a sunset the same way we
open our eyes to see the light
and close them to hear the dark.
You have no control over
how your story begins or ends.
But by now, you should know that 
all things have an ending.
Every spark returns to darkness.
Every sound returns to silence.
And every flower returns to sleep
with the earth.
The journey of the sun
and moon is predictable.
But yours
is your ultimate
ART.


Day 2 - Lost and/or Found
This is "found art" as I used whatever I "found" on my work table including inks, paper scraps, embossing folders, a mesh bag, tools, and markers.


Day 3 - Vintage
I have a bag of art supplies I take with me on weekends and I stuffed some doilies and butterflies in it intending to do a watercolor for this them.  Well, I forgot the paint brushes so that put the kabosh on that idea so I went with colored pencils for the background.  


Day 4 - Lavender 
Speaking of those colored pencils.  They are a recent purchase and I bought them to keep them at the condo so I don't have to carry my good set(s) back and forth.  They are by Sudee Stile and there are 150 pencils in the set.  They claim that none of them are the same color.  The colors aren't named, but they are numbered.  Here are a most of the ones that I thought could be lavender.


Day 5 - Kawaii or Cute
I must admit that I had to look up the meaning of Kawaii.  It's all those cute Japanese characters and fun colors.  I thought back to a card that I had done in a previous ICAD - MYOWLZ - and thought I could turn them into Katz (and a little bigger).  I used my Prima watercolors on this.  


Day 6 - Detour
I think the quote speaks for itself.  Prima watercolors and micron marker.


Day 7 - Alliteration
Lots of Love Letters
Prima watercolors and Micron marker.  (I'm also using this for my Scribble Picnic - Mail/Letters)


So there is Week 1 all done.  I'll be back next week with prompts 8-14.  

I say this all the time, but think about joining in.  If you have some index cards, why not give it a try. You don't have to follow the prompts.  The goal is to create some kind of art each day on the simple index card.  I'd love to have some compadres!

1 comment:

  1. Love the vintage one most of all, but those cute kawaii kitties put a big smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.