Monday, November 4, 2013

Today I am Thankful for.......... Day 4

Today I am thankful for the sound of birds in the morning.  Our neighborhood is relatively free from traffic sounds.  There are cars and buses that pass by the house in the morning but we are set up a hill about 100 feet from the road so the backyard is pretty sheltered from noise.  When I leave for work in the morning, when I step outside the back door, I am greeted by the sound of the birds. 

If you listen carefully you can tell what the mood is.  If there are crows or jays around it is usually very noisy.  The goldfinches make such a sweet happy sound when they're gathered around the feeder and get very agitated when I interrupt their morning meal and they quickly disperse from the feeder to the trees.  Occasionally there will be a hawk in the area causing a silence that will only be punctured by it's scream sending all the other birds for cover.

If I'm lucky, I will catch the call of the bluebirds.  We've learned over the years to identify their song and calls.  When I hear them, I stop in my tracks and search the treetops for a glimpse of them, but they are usually well hidden and I need to get on my way.

If I'm very lucky, as I was this morning, I will hear the bluebirds when I get out of my car at the school.  The parking lot is adjacent to a wooded lot and their song resonated in the cool of the morning.   The tension of facing a Monday morning was suddenly erased.

1 comment:

  1. I love your bird pictures . . . and I love this post. I started wearing hearing aids a couple of years ago. I had been not hearing birds for so long . . . that it is something I try not to take for granted. I love walking early in the morning just to hear them. Also . . . your bird post remind me of my parents. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.