Thursday, January 27, 2011

More Snow


(The view of the brook from Readington Road Thursday Morning)

Yesterday when I woke up it was just beginning to snow.  The forecast was for  a coating and then changing over to rain, but that's not how it happened.  It snowed, and it snowed, and it snowed all morning - so much so that the Superintedent decided to have an early dismissal from school.   When I heard that, I immediately felt the tension. 

Early dismissals are my worst nightmare.  We don't have to call all the parents, the PTO does that, but we have to take all the calls and make sure that every student knows where they're going or who's picking them up.  Surprisingly, or should I say, not surprisingly many of them do not know what to do.  As much as we encourage parents to have a plan for such emergencies, that's just not the case in all instances.

So almost immediately the phones began to ring and I had to start putting together parent pickup lists.  Oh, what a morning.  But, I can say that we got everyone home - there were no stragglers. 

When I got home there was already at least 4 inches of snow on the ground.  I managed to get up the driveway okay and parked the car.  I did some shoveling and then came in.  It was time for a New Action Plan.  When I got up from my NAP, I snapped these....

I was looking up the hill and saw these strange shapes.  It took a few seconds before I realized that the silhouetted images were deer - one sitting down and eating that evergreen and the other standing and doing the same.  (Those are supposed to be deer-proof by the way!)


This one decided to check out the bird feeder.

The snow stopped for a couple of hours and then started up and didn't quit until the wee hours of this morning (Thursday).  We got another 10". 

This is the view from the front of the house to the road.  Here is another deer just walking down the middle of the street.



They were having a hard time getting around, and probably a harder time finding something to eat although they've already defoliated everything 5 feet and under. 

Needless to say, we had a snow day today.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Lorraine, what gorgeous phto's - more PLEASE! We don't get snow right here as it never gets cold enough, although sometimes it FEELS like there should be snow!
    These photo's are just beautiful:-)
    Sunshine NZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Well, you did say you were expecting more snow, but that much? Those photos of the deer are amazing, although my favourites are the brook and the view from the house.
    Shame about the trees, but you really do feel for the animals in that hard weather.
    I can see, too, that your roads are cleared a LOT more thoroughly and efficiently than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty pictures! I always wonder what the forest creatures and birds do in these storms! Poor things....we got 18" here Wednesday night on top of the 4" we got during the day!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.