Saturday, August 30, 2008

Moving Weekend and the Contest Entry

I'm sorry I have been MIA for most of the week. This is the last week before school starts and it has been a crazy one both at work and at home because it is also the weekend that my daughter Rachel is moving. She won't be permanently in Delaware until they find someone to replace her in her teaching position here in NJ. They are being sticklers and holding her to her 60 days notice - they really don't have to do that, I know we don't hold teachers in our district who are moving out of state. Well, at least it gives us a little more time together during the week.

But anyway, today was the trip to DE to get her settled into her apartment. We started out at 9:30 picking up a mattress and boxspring for her at the home of one of the teachers from my school. Then we caravanned to DE, got her moved in, ate some lunch, set up what we could, said good-bye and then hit the road to come home. I would absolutely be murdered if I told you any bridge stories so I won't go there, but I will say that it took us 45 mins. to get out of DE - a 10 mile trip on Rt. 95 to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, with me driving and a pile of cardboard in the back of the van obscuring my view. The passenger of the car (HWNSNBP) was intermittently turning on the radio to hear the score of the Yankee game (even though I asked him not to do that because the traffic pattern had changed since we had last been through there and I was annoyed that I couldn't see out the rear window to switch lanes on my own). Do you have any idea what an AM station sounds like two states away - LIKE A GNAT BUZZING AROUND MY EARS IN STOP AND GO TRAFFIC!!! Okay, I'll calm down now. We switched drivers as soon as we crossed the bridge and I attempted to "nap" with the buzzing.

I may post a picture tomorrow or Monday of the fledgling in her new digs, but until then I will entertain you with a picture of something that I entered into a Stampin' Up! contest last month. The theme was 3-D Trick or Treat. This is actually mechanical. When you pull the string on either end, the three medallions spin (the one in the middle goes in the opposite direction of the other two). It is based on a frame from $Tree and the "wheels" that help the medallions spin are actually recycled from the plastic wheels inside used snail tape cartridges. Someday in the near future I will do another project similar to this and take pictures of the stages. I was in too much of a hurry to get this done and in on time and forgot to document it, but at least I did get a picture of the finished product.

BTW, I didn't win the contest (boohoo for me!) but I still think it's pretty cool.

2 comments:

  1. Lorraine, hands down, you should have won. This is really a cute card and it's interactive too. Those judges must be blind! LOL
    Take care.
    Aloha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing, my vote would have been for this project :)

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.