Wednesday, June 28, 2017

Scribble Picnic - FOX

Our theme this week for Scribble Picnic is FOX.  This has been the spring of the fox at our school. Why? you may ask.  Well, several times we've had to pull the children in from the playground during recess because a fox family living in the woods adjoining the playground has been curious enough to come out to the edge of the woods to watch the children during recess.  We're not sure if they're living in the neighborhood or just happen to be passing through, but in any case, when they show themselves it becomes a problem. 


My boss, our principal, had me call the police department and then Animal Control to see what we could do about getting them removed, but unfortunately, unless they appeared to be sick (looking drunk, salivating, etc.) they would not remove them.  They said it was not unusual to see them out during the day, especially when there were young ones.  And they weren't threatening at this point.


They did suggest that we call a local animal rescue and their advice was to make the area less appealing.  This involved buying mylar balloons to tie to the trees around the playground, hiding containers of amonia soaked rags in the high grass around the tree line, and wiping down the dumpster with amonia to deter them from looking for food closer to the school.

I was nominated to pick up the balloons, amonia, and containers.  The custodian had the job of dispersing the deterrents.  

Did it work? We'll never really know if that's why they moved on.  There was no exit survey.  

As we were shopping a bit in Cape May on Sunday, I always check out the Swede Shop for unique little items.  This time I purchased this little clay ornament of a fox and gnome for our Christmas tree as a remembrance of both our trip and the fox incidents.


I went off-prompt on Sunday for ICAD (which was PORTRAIT) and instead used my rendition of the ornament instead.  (I'll be back with the link for my ICAD post - vacation this week has me a little behind.)

So now I will head over to see how FOXy the other picnickers have been this week.  Won't you join me?  Click here.  And, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, should you want to jump in for next week, the prompt is WATERMELON.  Won't that be juicy!

22 comments:

  1. I love foxes...nice take on the them, Lorraine, and such a cute ornament. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Serena. I love little ornaments like this. I was glad to find it.

      Delete
  2. a fox and gnome together? I didn't even think such a combination but this works. cute drawing. I like how the gnome appears shy in the folds of the fox's tail. do you notice the fox's head is shaped like a heart? great take on the theme.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lissa. I hadn't noticed the shape until you mentioned it and I love hearts. Thanks for pointing that out. Someone told me that foxes and gnomes are very Scandinavian.

      Delete
  3. What an interesting post Lorraine - I liked reading about how to deter (in the school situation with children probably necessary) the visiting foxes - I know the authorities won't do much as long as they appear to be healthy, and they do move around during the day when they have young who need to eat.
    Love your little clay ornament - and your illustration is so sweet.

    Happy week - Mary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary - hope you're having a wonderful week yourself. Despite the fact that our school is in a neighborhood setting we do seem to get our share of "creatures" visiting. Last year a coyote. We've had wild turkeys and the neighbors domestic 4-H turkeys and chickens. And at least once each spring there's a report of a bear cutting through the neighborhood. We get deer and Canadian geese and now have chipmunks living in the mulch in front of the school. Yep, very interesting.

      Delete
  4. What an interesting story about the foxes and the school yard. I think your rendition of the ornament is just darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wanda. I saw one of the adult foxes run across the street from the office and it was a big one. Makes life interesting.

      Delete
  5. Lorraine, that is such an interesting read and funny little piece you've captured here. A perfect remembrance for your tree too.

    What a job trying to keep them away! ha, yes, well you may never know for sure but if you don't see them, at least they are staying away from the curious going ons of little children. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. Hopefully they will change their habits for the next spring or we're going to be going through a lot of balloons!

      Delete
  6. Lorraine,
    I loved your story of the foxes. Usually they won't bother people. If they start acting strangely - beware. I love the ideas they came up with - and I guess it worked. Or they just got bored.
    Lovely picture.
    Blessings
    Janis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janis. Yes, the experts said they shouldn't bother anyone but you know there will always be those that are too nervous about it.

      Delete
  7. Very cute piece Lorraine! Sorry to learn about the foxes being such a problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. Personally I think they were just curious about all the recess noise, but we can't take any chances with the children.

      Delete
  8. the ammonia probably did cause them to leave, or the kits just got old enough for everyone to move on

    very nice drawing of the little figurine :) and cute ornament for the tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I think they just got old enough as you say. They have no boundaries.

      Delete
  9. Hello,

    I am glad you all feel better about the fox moving on.
    Your drawing of the cute ornament turned out very nice. Fun too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammie Lee. I had fun with this.

      Delete
  10. I love the fox and gnome ornament . . . and the story of a fox at school. I also really like the idea of you buying balloons for a fox! The fox story makes me miss your other blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare. The fox and gnome also brought memories back to me of when my kids would watch the cartoon David the Gnome. They were fascinated by the woodland animals and gnomes.

      Delete
  11. Interesting post and fun drawing! Like I commented on someone else's post, I've seen or heard about foxes more around (usually the edges) of towns than I've ever seen here in the country. They probably have better hiding places here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sweet, I love the bold red colors in the fox's fur.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.