We have a sketch challenge this week brought to us by Amy Tsuruta . I'm thinking it kind of looks like the sketch I used last week so instead of a rectangle card, I'll be using a square.
I used my SU snowflake embossing folder first and then added the paper-pierced edging. One of these days I'm going to get around to checking out the sewing machine that was my sisters. Right now it's sitting behind me in the case with no where to go. My 30+year old machine succumbed to a cracked, unreplaceable gear - sigh! Then the question was - what to put in that lower right-hand corner.
I originally intended the green rick-rack that I picked up this summer at a garage sale to use as an edging but then I got a small brainstorm to make it into a tree. Wanting the tallest tree I could get, I just barely had the layers overlapping which left gaps where the mountains and valleys didn't meet but I didn't want to see the green paper underneath.
Just so happens that on one of those crazy nights before Christmas I had been surfing some blogs and someone mentioned a sale on buttons at Dick Blick and being in a holiday stupor (and probably still on some drugs from my biopsy) I ordered 7 lbs of buttons that got delivered on Christmas Eve and were still in the box somewhere. I remember that HWNSNBP was a little incredulous when he found out there were 7 lbs. of buttons so I attempted to rationalize the fact that you had to spend $20 to get free shipping. Well, I knew there had to be useful buttons in there for this project.
I emptied the seven bags into an old cookie tin (they just fit) which brought back some nice memories. My grandmother was a seamstress at a local sewing factory and she and my mother did a lot of sewing at home. They had a couple of tins of buttons that my sisters and I used to play with. We would take the tin and dump it onto the carpet and then set about sorting and stacking and picking out our favorites for what seemed like hours. The only drawback to that was the itchy elbows I got from laying on the wool rug. My father cleared out my grandmothers closet after she died and we still haven't found out what he did with those tins!
As you can see, I got a little sidetracked and started going through and categorizing the buttons until I tore myself away to finish this project.
But, with all that sorting I even managed to find a star button to use on the top.
Well, now that I've carried on about the buttons let me go and check out what all the other Jingle Belles created this week. Take a look here.