Saturday, April 10, 2010

Birds in a Tree - Home Inspiration

Today's Inspiration Challenge is called Home Sweet _________ and the object was to make a card that was representative of where you live. 

I live in New Jersey - the Garden State.  Although much maligned at times in how New Jersey is portrayed as being a chemical wasteland and covered with macadam, I can tell you that the state has it's beauty from the hills and valleys of Sussex County in the north, to the cornfields and cow pastures of central Jersey, right down to the gorgeous sandy beaches of the Atlantic coast. 

My card gives a glimpse of the rich soil and the greenery that abounds.  Although not our state tree (which is the Red Oak) and not our state bird (which is the goldfinch) I chose to use this stamp as I bought it on a recent trip to a little stamp store in New Jersey.  I added bluebirds because right now they are again making a home in a nest box on our property. 

On our last trip to Barnegat I was able to stop at the stamp store in Tuckerton and picked up this Memory Box stamp - Dotty Tree Birds.   I stamped it onto Whisper White cs in Close to Cocoa ink and then colored in the leaves and birds with my SU markers. 


I added a backing of Bashful Blue that I punched with the open scallop border and corner punches - it makes a nice medallion of sorts.  The card base is Certainly Celery as is the ribbon and I added a panel of Close to Cocoa that I ran through the Big Shot with my Finial Press embossing folder. 

I learned a lesson after I bought this stamp.  When I went to use it I realized I had never even noticed that the rubber and the sticker were going in opposite directions.  Because I was stamping it on the square turned on end I was using the Stamp-a-ma-jig, but I guess I'll have to use the SAMJ whenever I use this stamp unless I get brave enough to peel it off and reposition it.  We'll have to see about that.

What do you think of this color combination?  I'm thinking of using this for Earth Day.  

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a perfect combination of colours for Earth Day to me. Sweet stamp, I like the dotty texture in the tree. Do you usually stamp first and then cut your shape, because then it wouldn't matter so much that the decal is upside down. It would annoy me, mind you, I'd end up remounting. But because I used to be so bad at stamping straight, I just stamp and then work out a straight base line and cut my square/rectangle from there.
    Hope your bluebirds are happy and safe in their nestbox. Is that the one you have a camera feed for?

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.