Friday, September 30, 2022

On the Way...... and Cape May

September 22nd was National Ice Cream Cone day and I celebrated with a pumpkin and graham cracker twist on our way to the condo.  We left on a Thursday this time so we could get an early start to Cape May on Friday morning.  


The sky lit up on Thursday night.  I call this one "Candy Corn Sky".
 



It was a very brisk morning when we left - jacket weather.  A Goldilocks day - not too hot, not too cold.......just right.  We hit our usual stops once in the town and found ourselves behind this truck.  When is the last time you saw a Studebaker?  The shiny tool box was quite a contrast to the rest of the truck.  I should note that it had a Colorado license plate so it was pretty far from home.


At the West End Garage Antique Mall they had an updated version of the paper dress that I posted last year.  The skirt of this one was brown paper with a smattering of butterflies along the lower hem.  


Those butterflies look like they might be some of the ones that were recycled from the earlier dress.


As you can see here, the brown paper is stamped with the store logo, so I am guessing that since NJ has enacted the "no paper or plastic bag" law, they might have used their leftovers for this display.  In any case, I love to see creations like this.  Here is the link to the dress from last year.


It wasn't too cold to have lunch at the Cold Bar at the Lobster Dock.   And there weren't many people there at the time we got there so we got a good table.  I'll interject here that we went on Friday, the day before our anniversary because I thought that there would be a big crowd on the weekend since school is in session and vacations are over, but let me say that everywhere we went we were surrounded by senior citizens...... which meant that we blended right in.


Got behind another truck with a curious payload.  Beach umbrellas being rounded up for the season.


We got back to Barnegat early enough to take a ride out to see how much of Old Barney had been uncovered. When we got to the condo the day before we could see from across the bay  that the wrapping was off but we couldn't tell if the scaffolding was down.  As you can tell from the picture, it was about halfway down at that point.



I had been caught up in a different project for most of the week before and wound up grabbing supplies for making my anniversary card for HWNSNBP the morning that we left and you can probably tell by the looks of this card.  Of course I didn't have everything I needed in that last minute grab.  The stamps were new and the ink beaded up on them and I didn't have something suitable to season them with.  I didn't want to use a paper towel and leave lint on them, so I tried to blend the ink with an aquabrush.  The gray ink I brought was too dark and had to be stamped off twice before it got light enough to my satisfaction.  And I do have the dies that go with the swans, but I should have die cut them first and then stamped as there are 3 stamps to each one - the body, the black face, and the orange of the beak.  I got the beaks on no problem, but the die has them facing downward so I had to fussy cut them.  


I'll share that other project soon and also update on the caterpillars.

4 comments:

  1. Love that ice cream, enjoyed the photos and happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorraine, I love the photos from your trip! My favourites are the dress - amazing and quite different from the previous year's. I love your swan card too and if I hadn't read about your process, I would never have known that you had a frustrating time with your new stamps. Love the CAS design. Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that sky is stunning! Happy (belated) anniversary wishes.
    I think I defnitely prefer this year's dress, as being less fussy. I think I actually read somewhere about the bag law, but I didn't realise it was paper as well as plastic. Ireland was one of the very early countries to introduce a charge for plastic bags back in 2002 and it certainly made an instant difference to the amount one saw littering hedgerows and hanging from trees. But even yet, I think there are plenty of people who forget to bring their own bags with them, and don't mind paying - though at least now one has to pay substantially more for one that will last quite some time. Paper bags there doesn't seem to be any regulation for - but in a climate with as much rain as we have, they are not always ideal!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never heard of that flavour of ice cream but I'd be more than willing to taste test it if you want to ship some my way. Happy Anniversary to you and your sweetheart. Enjoy your time away!

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.