Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Folded Booklet Challenge

I was invited to join a Facebook art group for ICAD back at the beginning of June which I was able to share my cards to.  The group has decided to remain intact going forward but not just for index cards, though some are carrying through to 100 cards with a prompt list they created.

So what has this got to do with this post?  Well, someone posted a little folded booklet that they created using a sheet of paper that they had worked on, which was then folded, cut, and turned into a little booklet.  I thought that it was a neat idea and some of the members decided to take it as a challenge to make one of our own to share.

I took a sheet of watercolor paper and that was the first thing that I added to it - watercolors.  I used a variety of blues and greens.  Not too visible here.  Then I doodled on it with paint pens and gel markers randomly.


The paper was folded in half and into quarters both ways.  Then I cut slits 3/4 of the way alternating direction.


When folded it compresses to being this size.


While I still had it folded I turned the pages and lightly made a register mark so I would know where the bottom of each segment was because I was going to add writing to it and wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to write upside-down.  This was a good plan, if only I had remembered to check the last 4 segments.  I was able to save it by cutting that strip of segments completely off and gluing it down in the right direction.  I added some creativity quotes that I had been collecting in a journal to each page.









When I was done writing out the quotes (and fixing my directional mistake) I used a strip of scrapbook paper to make a "cover" for the booklet by gluing it to the top and bottom.  I thought I was going to get away without having to glue all the pages together and just the ones that were on the side folds, but as you can see below, this wouldn't work to keep the book together in order to read the pages easily.  Luckily there was enough room for me to sneak some liquid glue in between the backs of the pages to solidify it.  


I added a butterfly sticker to the front and glued a length of rick rack around it completely so it could be kept closed.



This came out better than I expected.  

3 comments:

  1. Super cool - I love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Of course you know I love all the wonderful quotes and what a pretty way to keep them together.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.