Wednesday, June 9, 2021

ICAD 2021 - Week One

Lo and behold, I'm doing another challenge - ICAD - Index Card a Day for the months of June and July.  This will be my 8th year doing this challenge.  There are prompts which are optional.  Sometimes I follow them, sometimes I go my own way when I don't have a clear enough idea of what I would do for the prompt.  The only requirement is that you must use an index card as your substrate.  It can be up to 4 x 6.  I'll be mixing mine up a little this year because I was gifted with some very cool 3 x 5 index cards by my blogging friend Lauren (also known as one of the Jingle Belles and fellow Jersey Girl).  If you have some time click on her name and check out her blog.  She is so talented and creative and such an inspiration.

My Title Card
I picked up some potted paints at the Dollar Tree for this rainbow and added to it with a Micron and Gel Pens.  The stickers were part of the gift from Lauren.


1/61 - Contraption
 Stabilo Pen and General's Watercolor Pencils


2/61 - Snapdragon
Stabilo Markers, General's Watercolor Pencils, Micron
*I did not realize that snapdragons are deer and rabbit resistant and promptly asked HWNSNBP to pick some up at the nursery when he went.  He brought home some beautiful pink ones and we shall see if they make it.


3/61 - Lyrics
Stabilo Markers
I chose the song based on what I thought I could draw and combined the sunshine on a rainbow lollipop.  Who remembers - 1) who originally sang this song; 2) what movie it came from; 3) who wrote the music?  Answers at the end of this post.


4/61 - Snow Globe
Stabilo Markers
These are snowflake seeds for the snowglobes.


5/61 - Verdigris
Acrylic Paint, Copper Paint Pen, Micron Marker, White Gel Pen
Lesson learned from this one is to use your art supplies when you buy them and don't hoard them away.  I recently came upon a bunch of metallic paint pens in my craft room I had forgotten about and knew that there were copper ones in there, so I grabbed them and this pre-prepared card to take with me for the weekend.  Both of the pens still rattled when shaken, but the fineliner wouldn't flow.  I was able to load the tip of the fineliner with ink from the tip of the thicker one to be able to complete this.  I'm wondering if the silver and gold ones will behave the same.


6/61 - Canoe or Kayak
Micron Pen, General's Watercolor Pencils
Based on a photo that I took last spring.


7/61 - Twist
I used cardmaking scraps to make a twisted one-staple collage on another pre-pared card.


I've mentioned pre-pared cards above a couple of times.  What I did for those was to squeeze some blobs of acrylic paint onto the cards and then I used a used gift card to smear the paint around on the cards.  I had ordered these heavy duty index cards on Amazon based on a recommendation from another ICADian.  They hold up pretty well with wet media.  A little messy but effective.

*Answers:  1)  Lesley Gore; 2) Ski Party (Although if you Google it it will say Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs); 3) Marvin Hamlisch.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about snapdragons either, but I do remember that they were one of the first plants I grew as a child, along with tulips. Wishing you good luck with them living up to their reputation. Contraption is my favourite - makes me think of Miro. I like the verdigris a lot too.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.