Monday, August 3, 2015

Jingle Belles - Catching Up - Inspiration Photo and Vintage

Having actually done some Fishmas baking recently it was serendipitous to have a Christmas cookie photo inspiration.  Although my Fishmas cookies were not decorated like those in the picture.  Maybe next time I'll try that if I can find a fish cookie cutter.  But I digress............. I took some of the colors of the photo inspiration and some of the shapes and there was a baking theme in there too that came through with my Tasha Tudor stamp (even though they've baked and are decorating a gingerbread house).  I have some lovely paper gifted to me by one of the Jingle Belles that had trees in just the right colors, and a MS border punch that contained gingerbread cookies.  Found one of those SU corduroy buttons and some thick baker's twine (hey, there's another tie in to the baking theme, ha!).


I think it needs a little message somewhere.... maybe in small type.... as yet to be determined.

But you can see the photo below - don't you just love those colors? (Secret - I'm actually planning on a lighter shade of that blue for the stamp cave if we ever get around to it! With red accents too!)


So now let me do a little catching up. I don't know why this didn't get posted last week. I came home from work last Monday juiced about the Try a New Technique challenge that I saw on Splitcoast posted by Sabrina - Cathedral Window Patchwork.  Her instructions were so spot on and the theme for the Jingle Belle challenge was vintage or retro.  I thought about how vintage quilts are and wanted to meld the two together.  Came home and managed to get the card done fairly quickly and even photographed it and set up this post and then Tuesday came, and then Wednesday came, and then Thursday I saw in my feed the post from Jingle Belles highlighting the cards of the challenge and was immediately deflated because I had obviously forgotten all about posting my card there and in the Splitcoast gallery.  Oh well - it's not the end of the world because I can still post it here.


I found this non-directional, small print paper, my punches (round and square), a new Sizzix die, and the poinsettia die and voila!  (Well, it really wasn't magical, but it didn't take that long either.)  

I don't know if you can see the gold pencil and shimmer paint highlights on the edges of the holly leaves and also on the corners of the folded circles that were a little ragged after folding.  And let me just say that if this were a real quilt that I was making I would have been a whole lot more careful about how I folded the circles so that the stripes on the back matched.  


Well let me mosey on over to the Jingle Belles to see what other wonderful creations the ladies have come up with this fortnight.  Click here to see for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. I love the cathedral window . . . since it reminds me of quilt that I have that my grandma made - Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Lorraine - BOTH of these cards are wonderful - I think you are getting me excited about Christmas already!! Love your fishmas idea with the first one...and that big stamp is amazing - perfect! Love the gingerbread making scene. Colours are gorgeous - as is that plate of perfectly decorated cookies - great inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous holiday cards ... love that vintage gingerbread house image ... so very glad you joined us with some Cookies 4 Santa at Jingle Belles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok, i'm sooooo with you in the realm of "WHERE did the time go" lol; so pleased i'm not the only one that happens to! but i'm really glad you posted the quilt one now b/c it's GORGEOUS and so very clever!!! (& reminds me i had a plan to use that folding technique that *I* totally forgot about so there!) :)

    meanwhile the tasha tudor image is PERFECT for the "cookies 4 santa" prompt; looooove the g-bread border and the twine and the colors and... ok, in retrospect it'd've been quicker to say "i love EVERYTHING about this" wouldn't it?! (& i do!!!!) always happy when you come and play at ♥JINGLE BELLES♥ you have such cool ideas! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, your little quilt turned out beautifully with the vintage prints and gorgeous doily. Light blue with red accents - sounds like a lovely colour scheme for your room - I hope that you get to realise it some time soon.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.