Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Scribble Picnic - FLOWERBED

I love flowers and I would love to have a FLOWERBED that resembles my drawing.  Don't get me wrong, our yard has lots of flowers thanks to HWNSNBP's hard work, but they're mostly in pots and mostly of one variety due to the very hungry deer in our area.  It has taken much trial and error (and $$$) to figure out what they will and won't eat, because you really can't just go by lists in books or on tags.  If they're hungry enough, they'll chomp on things they've never eaten before. 

Back Door Entrance
I drew some flowers that we have had in the past - lupines, clematis, black-eyed Susan's, and the pink ones are vinca/periwinkle which we have found are deer tolerant. 


I used gelatos (for the first time) and Caran d'Ache pencils for this.  Then, after opening a package of some stamps I had recently ordered from Purple Onion Designs I thought this little bunny might be at home reading in the flower bed.  So I stamped him and fussy cut him out.  He's just hanging there for now until I decide to make him a permanent part of the landscape.


And speaking of bunnies, this is a picture my daughter-in-law had recently shared of our grandson watching the bunny under the stairs in their back yard.  Apparently there are two and he seems to be fascinated by them. His highchair is near the window and he gets to see them while he eats his breakfast.  I know you can barely make out the bunny in his reflection, but it's there.  


Okay, so now it's time for a garden tour.  Time to check out the FLOWERBEDs of all the Picnickers. You can tag along by clicking here.  And make sure you pay special attention to Michael's masterpiece.  He has hidden the FILL IN THE ________ object for next week's prompt in his drawing quite cleverly.


21 comments:

  1. You have a lovely garden. I think that bunny definitely needs to stay reading in lower bed, it's the perfect finishing touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you Paula. I'm leaning in that direction.

      Delete
  2. what a lovely scene and I like the added bunny reading, very cute.

    I too would love to watch bunnies while I eat my breakfast.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lissa. I love watching the animals in the morning myself.

      Delete
  3. Your pots are beautiful as is your garden piece! Your grandson is the cutest and I do see the bunny. Thanks for the fill in the blank tip which I missed of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. I so enjoy seeing his wonderment at the simplest things.

      Delete
  4. Bunnies are perfect for a garden picture (note that I too had a bunny in my garden) and your flowers are beautiful. Good to know that Vinca can withstand a deer attack. And what a lucky Grandson ... it is good for them to learn and enjoy nature at a young age.

    Andra @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andrea, I love you little bunny. They are so sweet and gentle. They're starting to make a comeback in our area which is nice.

      Delete
  5. So cute of your grandson watching the bunny. That would make a sweet drawing too.
    your art is charming and it does seem bunnies and squirrels like to eat in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammie Lee. He makes a good model doesn't he!

      Delete
  6. I didn't know that about deer. Interesting but sorry you've had to go through all that. It may not be what you envisioned for your yard but you've a BEAUTIFUL potted garden! :)

    And sweet flower bed illustrations, too. I LOVE how you incorporated the cut out bunny reading a book. Brilliant!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra. Yes, the deer are a big problem when it comes to landscaping. Pretty as they are, they've wreaked havoc on the understory in the surrounding woods also eating everything from the ground up to about 5'. Glad you like the bunny. I think he keep reading there.

      Delete
  7. I'm not good with pots...we have some but I'm not diligent enough to water them consistently. It looks as if HWNSNBP doesn't have a problem with that. I don't think I've seen pink vinca. Your drawing is lovely, I like the clematis on the birdhouse, and the lupins. And the bunny looks sweet lying in amongst the flowers with his book. For some reason your picture is reminding me of the A.A.Milne poem about geraniums red and delphiniums blue. Obviously it's the lupins making me think of it, but the bunny is a good stand-in for the dormouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina, would you believe he refuses to use the hose and attachment. He fills up a watering can to do all that. He says it helps him get some exercise!

      Delete
  8. I like the addition of the bunny in your flower bed, they are quite fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's s such a darling, sweet depiction for a wild flower bed and love the lil' bunny added for extra affect. Thank you, Lorraine.

    See you next week, I hope, for the "fill in the blank" which starts with an "X" touching the corners within a square! I wonder what you would/will do for that? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. I've started something for next week already but I'm not sure it's final yet. We'll see what we see.

      Delete
  10. deer will eat anything! the books lie!! lol
    fences dont always work either :/ if they cant eat it, it usually gets wrecked with them walking threw it or rubbing up against it

    very cute and spring like flower bed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you like the deer as much as I do!!! They sure can be a nuisance.

      Delete
  11. Lovely flowers–both real and painted!
    We have "fed" the deer many a tulip bud over the years.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.