Friday, September 18, 2020

Summer Shots 2020

Going through my pictures and finding some worthy of posting from the last couple of months.

A tattered flag spotted near the miniature golf range in Barnegat Light.

 

A view from the top of one of the holes at the miniature golf range - the windmill below looking like a giant metal flower.


One of HWNSNBP's giant dahlias.


And another that was so big, when I cut it I floated it in the biggest mixing bowl I had and it filled the bowl.


Some of the sunflowers that were protected from the deer but later fell victim to the squirrels.



Those tall plants are cleome and they are all volunteers from one plant that had self-seeded itself in that area last summer.  There were many volunteers and it reminded me of plants you might see growing next to a fence so we left them to bloom there freely this year and I have been harvesting seed.


These are the same flowers and they grew on the shoulder of the road across the street from our house.  The seed from that original plant last year found it's way down the driveway and into the soft shoulder and took hold.  I think the mild winter helped.  They were blooming for a while and this week they were mowed down when the county finally came to mow the shoulders on our road.  Wish they could have been saved, but some of that saved seed will be sown in the area over there that doesn't get mowed and we'll see if it takes hold next summer.


HWNSNBP and two of his chums built raised garden beds this past spring and in ours we had a crop of spinach and after that was harvested, we planted eggplant and zucchini.  The eggplant managed to flourish, the zucchini did not unfortunately.  (Spinach, beets, and carrots were planted this week for an autumn crop.  Keep your fingers crossed.)


That eggplant turned into some tasty eggplant fries made in our air fryer.


A bunch of quick notecards to send to some people I worked with that I owed prizes to.  It was serendipity that I had pulled out this sheet of donut-printed paper and had it on a table in the stamp cave.  It was perfect for adding some Dunkin' Donuts gift cards to and sending them off in the mail to the school.  They were surprised, but I like to make good on my promises.


Some felt ornaments that I picked up on a recent trip to Cape May at the Swede Shop.  I can't resist these when I go there.  They are so pretty and something that I know I could create but not for the price of these.   This is the first time that I have seen them in a spring theme.  Usually it's mostly Christmas.


Right on schedule - the view of the 5K Run at the dock in Barnegat on the Saturday before Labor Day.


And a recent sunset.


I may find more to share in the future.  

3 comments:

  1. Lovely photos. I'm glad you got some sun from the sunflowers before the wildlife found them. The eggplant (and fries) look lovely. I've never tried growing one. Good luck indeed with your autumn crops. And the spring themed ornaments are lovely. You're right, I've mostly seen Christmas too.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.