Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Scribble Picnic - DREIDEL/SPINNING TOP/TEETOTUM

Our Scribble Picnic theme for this week coincides with the beginning of Hanukkah and we could choose DREIDEL or SPINNING TOP or TEETOTUM.  I went with spinning top as most of my painting and drawing paraphernalia is temporarily stashed away.  

Without going into much detail, my mother-in-law passed away at the age of 93 - her quality of life had been failing these last few years and she is at peace now.  So along with getting ready for the holidays, and having her memorial service with family gathering afterwards, I wasn't ready to pull everything out again yet so I went with what was readily available - some origami paper.

I folded the three separate units.


Inserted Unit 2 into Unit 1.


And then Unit 3 into that.


And (hopefully you can see) this is it spinning.


We had our first snow of the season this weekend, the same day that we had the service, and then on Sunday I received notification that one of the teachers in our school district passed away unexpectedly.  His wife also works in the the district so it has touched all of us and left a very foggy atmosphere.  This little spinning top did brighten things up a bit.

I'll be visiting with the Picnickers soon to see what they've brought this week.  You can too if you click here.  And should you wish to join in next week the theme is CHRISTMASTIME.

9 comments:

  1. Aw, I am so sorry for your losses recently, Lorraine. That's tough! You mother-in-law lived a long like! My heart goes out though to the teacher's family as well.

    And to your piece--WOW! Are you serious? All with paper? So amazing. I LOVE LOVE that you did a 3-D piece. Brilliant. Thank you for even finding time to do this! I loved the video!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very sorry for your loss. Losing a family member at any age is hard. It seems Christmas is a time of sorrow and joy. My father passed away at Christmas time, many years ago..But we have our memories, don't we.

    Your origami papers really are lovely. Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

    Blessing and peace this Christmas time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine your spinning top is seriously amazing! Love the colours too. So sorry for your loss and the other bad news. And at this time of year too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! this is such a great idea for the theme.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your MIL. Such a rough time of the yr to lose someone. Origami is something I have never gotten into. Looks like fun though. Great job on the theme for this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so cool Lorraine! Thanks for the little video, it works so well! :) I'm so sorry about your mother-in-law, that is sad news, gosh and the teacher too. I can only say I wish you strength and peace. I hope you find things to brighten up your day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much sadness at this beautiful time of year ... so sorry for your loss, Lorraine. Once again you have outdone yourself. To make your own spinning top is just amazing and the little video shows how perfectly you accomplished this. I hope you are still able to find some joy in the holiday.

    Andrea @ From the Sol

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about HWNSNBP's mother; the holiday season always seems to me to get an especially hard time to lose family. My sympathy to you at this time.

    Thanks for adding the video, very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sad to learn of the deaths around you. Life often seems to bring sad happenings around the holidays, the loss of both your MIL and the teacher are hard for you, the family and your colleagues I'm sure. I do hope things cheer up somewhat and you can still enjoy the beauty of this special Christian holiday.

    ReplyDelete

It's always so nice to hear from visitors. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.